Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nine days from C5/C6 and C6/C7 cervical fusion surgery

tankzttankz Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in New Member Introductions
I am new to this forum, but am most interested in long-term experiences others have had recovering from ACFD surgery. I am scheduled ro have surgery July 13th.

• I only had one level done. Initial recovery was a little rough as the nerve after decompression was screaming. This only last a couple of months and improved daily.

Most days now, I forget it was even done. I have lost some range of motion to the left, but minimal.

Best wishes,

• Marianne,

That is encouraging that you don't think about the surgery much anymore.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. all the best for a successful and complete recovery.. i hope you wind up pain free!!! stop by anytime you have any questions during your recovery.. be sure and follow the doctor's orders..also,stop by the "Back and Neck surgery forum" for more input on your surgery. good luck! Jenny :)
  • Welcome to Spine-Health. You'll find a lot of articles and videos on this site that can help you understand about ACDF surgery, and the members of the forum are very knowledgeable and supportive.

I had a 3-lvl ACDF in Oct. 08, C4-7, and can tell you that the recovery is not horrible. Many of us on this forum will tell you that the anticipation is worse than the surgery itself, myself included.

I came out of surgery with all my pre-op symptoms gone - symptoms such as severe left arm pain and weakness, tingling 24/7 in my right arm, some numbness and severe muscle spasms in my shoulders. It was a wonderful feeling to have all that gone so quickly.

I wore a hard brace for four weeks, then a soft brace for eight weeks. You don't say whether you'll be wearing a brace post-op, but if you do, it's not too difficult to get used to. For me, it was comforting to know that my neck was protected. But some doctors don't like using braces post-op because your neck muscles can atrophy from lack of use, but I didn't seem to have that issue.

Now, my ROM is pretty good and I'm fused with the exception of C6/7, which didn't completely fuse. That's the most difficult level to fuse because it moves more than all the others when you move your head. As a result, I'm left with some pain in the back of my neck and some shoulder muscle spasms, but not as bad as pre-op.

The surgery was definitely worth it and I would do it again if necessary. The immediate post-op issues tend to be a sore throat or trouble swallowing and of course, the natural pain that comes with having surgery and your body healing.

I wish you luck with your surgery and feel free to PM me if you have questions or just want to vent to a fellow neckie.

Take care,
  • Cath and Jenny,

Thanks for your replies. I am looking forward to the surgery at this point as there is a fair amount of instability with vertebrae shifting upon physical exertion. When this happens unexpectantly, the nerve root compression feels like someone put an electrical charge to my back / shoulder. This happened once while driving, and I don't know how I avoided an accident. ive.

I have visited the back and neck surgery forum, and have found the discussions very informative.