Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello All!

leahtheatrelleahtheatre Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in New Member Introductions
I'm 23 years old. Got hurt at work way back in August-ish (2009), but ignored it for a few days because I thought it was a pulled muscle, finally decided to get it looked at because people at work were telling me it could be something serious. I was told I couldn't get workmans comp. because I waited too long to file.. So I was living off of vicodin and any other pain reliever I could get my hands on because I don't have insurance. The pain kept getting worse, and started shooting down my right leg. Eventually I couldn't drive with my right leg and had to switch to my left leg. The pain would get so bad, it'd bring me to tears. I couldn't sleep without a heat pac. In January (2010) it got so bad that my right leg just stopped working. It hurt so badly I just couldn't move it. My boyfriend made me go to the ER telling me that we'd find a way to pay the bill but I was going, even if I said no. Er Doc told me I had lower back strain, gave me some vicodin and sent me home with restrictions.. Next day I went to work and handed in my restrictions and suddenly they decided I was allowed to file for workmans comp. They sent me to a doctor, who at first said I had sacro illiac dysfunction. He gave me naprosen and told me to go easy on it. Pain got worse, and he sent me to a physical therapist, which did nothing and the pain got worse eventually he handed me off to a chiropractor because he didn't know what else to do with me. The chiropractor took to cracking, *ahem* I mean adjusting me 4 times a week but the pain got worse. So bad it would double me over and i'd just be in limbo over what to do. In hysterics because I didn't know what to do to ease the pain. Any movement I made, made it worse. He sent me in for an MRI, which came back saying protruding disc between L4-L5 I believe.. the begining of arthritis and Degenerative Disc Disease. He also said my sciatic nerve is more than likely pinched in there too. He started me up on Spinal Decompression which is the most painful thing i've ever done, though a few hours after a visit the pain ceases a little bit and I can move around some. The only relief I feel is when i'm laying on the floor on my stomach with my right leg propped out to the side. I'm in an intolerable amount of pain and have been for many months. There has been times where i'd be in the drs. office screaming and crying for them to just take my leg off, because i'd rather have no leg than feel the pain i'm feeling. They say it's nerve pain, and I agree. Tingles/numbness shooting pains.. The whole shebang. The doctor refuses to give me pain meds, because he thinks i'm too young and will get addicted. I was pulled off work for a month because I literally can't walk, and i've gotten a little better. I still can't drive, but i can move around a little bit. I convinced my doctor to let me go back to work on a restricted schedule... I only did it because my job refused to pay me while i was off on Leave of Absence. I live alone in my own apt. Nobody here to help me with food/bills/rent. I had no choice.

anybody heard or experienced anything like this before? Will i ever get my life back? I'm going on 8 months of this pain. I can't do this anymore. What can I do to ease the pain? I take b-12, i was told it helps with nerves. I take my naprosen for inflamation, and i take walmart generic rapid release pain relivers. I also have ice packs and Biofreeze. I'm still in constant pain. I can barely take care of myself. For awhile there, I couldn't do anything.. Couldn't bathe myself, cook my meals...anything.

• I have similar pain and I had a L5-S1 herniated disc but was not seen on my 2nd MRI instead I have Degenerative disc disease in my lumbar spine. I haven't worked in over 2 years. I'm seeing a Pain Management Dr. for injections to help the pain and take Cymbalta for the leg pain and sciatica.

You need a referral to a Neurologist because of the numbness and tingling in your leg. My Primary Dr. sent me for an EMG/nerve test and I saw the Neurologist the same day. I hope your Dr. can help you soon. My Chiro wouldn't touch me with a disc problem. Call your Dr. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Because all of this is through workmans comp. Everything that I try to do, takes at least a week to get done because my job has to approve it. I work at WalMart and they are not about helping their employees.

I've heard that chiro's won't touch you when you have a disc problem, though mine adjusts me everyday. So I was confused by that.

As for a Dr.. All I have is a chiro. he doubles as my doctor and there is another man in the same building who does nothing but prescribes meds.

This is what WalMart gave me.

You said you haven't work in two years, I take it you still have the pain.. that it never went away? On disability now?

I take it this also means, my life will never be the same.. and i'll never be able to walk normally, or run.. or go to the zoo.. or get back into shape.. or be 23. Right?
  • You need to see a regular Dr. a family Dr. Yes I am on Long term disability but I'm doing much better now with Physiotherapy and meds and spinal injections. My issue is not necessarily the same as yours and I expect to be able to work one day. I think it's necessary to see your Family Dr. though and get referrals and more tests done and see a Neurosurgeon or Orthosurgeon.

I don't think I said you will never be the same again and never get better. I'm much better than where I was 2 years ago and I expect I will work again. Although I said I have similar symptoms doesn't mean that you will never be able to get better. Please find a Primary Dr. most likely the ER may have a list of Drs if you don't have one in your area. Or call WC and find a Dr. close to you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks, I'll get on that and hopefully get someone today.

I'm sorry if I seem all hopeless and upset.. I just don't know what i'm supposed to be rooting for, I get my hopes up just to be shot down and I end up in more pain than before.

I'm headed to their website now.

I'm new to the area, well bout a year I've lived here now.. No family doctor for me. I've always been relatively healthy and figured when I needed a doctor, i'd find one.

thanks for the help.
  • Chiros do treat people with disk problems, I can assure of that, however your pain is bad and you do need the MDs that Charry has described.
    Don't give up hope though I have personally seen people come back from your type of injury.
    Good luck.

• I feel your frustration with your situation -- nerve pain is a bear and at your young age you certainly never expected this to happen to you.

Lyrica and neurotin are two of the medications that a lot of us are taking for nerve pain. They are anti-seisure medications that happen to have the side effect of helping soothe nerve pain. Whatever physician you see may offer one of these drugs to you or possibly muscle relaxers.

I too get relief by laying on my stomach and kicking my left leg out to the side -- even though my pain is gone for the most part (and it took almost a year to heal) -- it's the most comfy position in bed for sleeping. It must take pressure off the nerve.

It may seem like forever but I'm sure you'll get to the right doctor eventually who will help you.

• Thank You Judy, it's good to know that i'm not the only one who has this type of pain.

I'll ask my doctor about those medications, and i'm hoping that one day i will get some relief.. It has been round bout 8 months for me, getting close to a year.

I'm tired of constantly leaning to the left, walking hunched to left, driving with my left foot.. crying in pain.. all of that.

I feel mostly for my boyfriend though, we got together right before my injury got bad. He's never seen me as the real me. He's only ever seen me hurting and in pain. Yet he's stuck with me through it all. I want to be better so badly, not juts for me.. but so he can get the relationship he deserves. :(
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you found us! it is difficult on our cargivers and you are a smart woman to realize that already.. my husband has been my caregiver for over 30 years and has never known me any other way as well. it is difficult to be "taken" care of at times, just remember that love is strong and you would do the same!! i give headrubs and handrubs and sometimes, when i can, a backrub to show apprecition in a special way.... good luck to you and stop by anytime! Jenny :)