Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2nd microdiscectomy pains bad

carlukccarluk Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi Im a new member, please bear with me! I had an L5 microdiscectomy in 2002 which was a complete success. However I ruptured the disc again at work leading to a second surgery that I had on the 27th june.
Since that surgery I am suffering really strong sciatic pain in my left buttock and left calf, at least as strong as before my operation.
Id like to know whether anyone else has had this post op pain and if there is a chance that it will go away with time.
I guess Im just looking for some reassurance as I thought I would be nearly pain free by now. Im on a bit of a downer, please help. Thank you for reading, Carl.

• Welcome to Spine Health. During surgery, the doc may have to move the nerve to the side to access whatever is impinging it. A lot of times this irritates the nerves and causes the type of pain you are experiencing. Once the irritation and inflammation go down, then the pain generally eases. If disc material was in contact and irritating the nerve, that too can cause this type of pain. It usually calms down in a few days to a few weeks.

You are fresh out of surgery, so it's highly possible that the nerve is inflamed. I've had this happen and the pain subsided within a few weeks with the aid of a good anti-inflammatory.

However, when in doubt, give the doc a shout.

Once again Welcome to Spine Health.

• Thank you so much for your reply, you have no idea how relieved I am to hear that it may go away!
  • Hi,

Hope your feelin gokay today/
    I had a micro-D in Jan this year - still in pain, like you with the leg and foot pain.
    I am going back to the surgeon soon and prob have another MRI. I have been told that i May need a fusion.
    What happened when you did it the 2nd time? Did you know straight away that it had ruptured again?
  • Hi, sorry to hear you're still in pain.
    I hurt my back at work pushing a pack of bricks on a trolley, it was how I hurt it the first time.
    The next day I felt some sciatic pain so I knew I'd hurt it again.
    My surgeon has also booked me in for another MRI which I'll have in about 6 weeks.
    Not sure what he will suggest, Im praying the pain will have subsided a bit by then.
    Is your pain as bad as before?