Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Very long post, but need advice and venting

CMatthewCCMatthew Posts: 49
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Health Insurance Issues
I have been in the WC web for over two years but have hit a huge roadblock. I have been going to a PC for over a year. I went there about a month ago to talk about getting rated, being put at MMI, and talk about a schedule to start weening off my meds (even though the DRs didn't say to). so I went in the morning they brought me back to my room and shut the door, next thing blew my mind. Two Police Officers came in and said they were going to place me under arrest for investigation of prescription problems they are haveing at the clinic. I told them they were out of there mind and they have the wrong person but they proceeded anyway. I am on 80 mg Oxycontin 3xs a day, Percocet 10mg 4 xs day, Lyrica 300mg 3xs a day, and Welbutrin 100mg 3 xs a day. They grabbed my meds and brought me down to jail without giving me a straight answer as to what was going on. While in jail I never got my meds Monday went by and I started getting sick that evening. Tues morn came and I had been throwing up from both ends violently. They asked If I wanted to talk to the investigator and i said of course because i have no idea why I am here. The investigator said they had been having problems with prescription fraud and i had something to do with it. First they said signatures were off so i said talk to the DR about that. Then they said i stole a DEA number and sold it, then they said I stole peoples ins., then they said I was selling my meds. I looked at her and told her to look at me and how sick I was. I can't walk without a cane and had no idea about any of this. Then she let me go for the day back to my cell. i proceeded to get worse and they still wouldn't give me my meds they only came in to check my blood pressure and gave me benadryl for it and said my meds were being held like myself for investigation. Wed. morn came and they called me out of my cell and said they were sorry and I was free to go. I was too sick to be mad, but they never gave me my meds back. i had a days worth at home so when i got home I took them but my body wouldn't get back to normal and i could barely move. I made an appt. with my family DR and told him what happened and i said i couldn't believe one could be treated this way and i also couldn't believe how sick i was. I was so traumatized that I said i want off all my meds asap. He wasn't for it but said he could do a fast 10 day detox and i would be off it all. So I did it and my head felt better but the problem is I forgot how much pain I was in two years ago and there was a reason I was on those meds. I've tried to be a man and fight through the pain but since i have been in the ER twice and I can barely get out of bed. My family DR doesn't give those strong of meds out regardless and i went to another DR to try and at least get my breakthrough again but after telling the story and the DR calling my QRC to confirm it he gave me Tramadol which i tried with no relief and then Vicodin the next day but yelled at me about it. My problem is i'm in soo much pain and DRs are scared after I tell them the story even after both spoke with my lawyer and the city even. Turns out there was a bald guy on video doing one of these fake prescriptions and i got pinned for it since I'm bald. Needless to say there is a lawsuit blowing in the door of my pain clinic, but it doesn't help my situation. I have 500 pages of Dr papers on my WC case and it is hard to dump in the lap of a news DR. If anyone has any advice for me I really need it. The pain is making me lose my mind and it hurts so much my own kids are scared to go around me. I am sorry this is so long but i need some advice. Like I said I was in the process of coming to an end with this WC and now it's been put on hold and I don't receive pay anymore because my 104 weeks are up. If anyone reads this long post thank you for your time and any advice would help. I live in Minnesota. Thank you!

• Sh*t! I'm so sorry that happened to you. I don't think I'm qualified to offer advise, but I sure can say a prayer in hopes your situation improves "vastly" and
    "quickly". What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger comes to mind. You may just have to start over again with a new ortho-doc and show him all the paperwork you have and try to pick up where you left off at your clinic. Best of luck.
    mel v.
  • I appreciate you taking the time to read that, my life has been flipped upside down because of this.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    What an experience! I have a story, below, but not nearly like yours.

You indeed may need the medications and may not be able to taper off or be pain-free enough to discontinue them, but perhaps need a new doctor to prescribe them. Sorry if I didn't catch it in your note but are you seeing a Pain Management physician? I'm worried about you continuing to see the physician associated with this disastrous "mistake".

I had a decent PM doctor and then found a better one. They are very good, understanding, and open to discussing any kind of medication or treatment options.

However, I'm not on WC (On LTD from work and applying for SSDI as mandated by my LTD carrier). Since I'm not on WC I have full control of my providers given they are approved by my insurance (which is quite generous).

I was on Opana ER for a while and Walgreen's had trouble having it when I needed it. So my PM sent me to a pharmacy that specialized in pain meds. It had a pain clinic next door that seemed a little seedy. People were walking in and 5 minutes later filling their prescriptions. The place was slightly out of the way but it worked out well.

One Friday in April, after getting my monthly prescriptions from my PM doctor, I went to this pharmacy, walked up, and tugged on the door. It was locked. I went back to my car to call their phone number and got a message that "we are closed due to circumstances beyond our control". Then noticed that I was surrounded by cop cars. Apparently if you tug on the door of a pain med pharmacy it triggers the alarm, cops come, etc. They asked for my ID and to get out of the car. Then they noticed I was in a LSO hard shell brace. Just then another customer walked up with a cane and was told to stand back. The door to the pharmacy opened and the owner peeked out and said "sorry, we're closed and should have turned the alarm off while we were in here, we'll re-open on Monday"

So the cops let me go and I wait until Monday. Monday I go back and it's boarded up. No idea why, called my PM doc to say I had to go to another pharmacy and they were amazed this pharmacy was closed. A few weeks later a friend found the story on the internet where the DEA did a sting and supposedly the pain clinic owner and pharmacy owner were in some kind of DEA trouble for over prescribing and falsely prescribing drugs. I was petrified that I'd be contacted, my name is in their system.

Luckily our Walgreen's in the Phoenix area are now working, in part, on a centralized system. Many prescriptions are filled at their central facility in Tempe (suburb) and then delivered to my Walgreen's by 10:30. So I spoke with the Pharmacist and even though I'm on more common meds now (MS Contin, Norco, Soma, Neurontin) she said even if I go back to Opana ER or any specialty medication they should be able to fill most anything in 24 hours.

It worked out as now I get my pain RX and non-pain Rx from the same place.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • That is quite the story, you hear about that a lot with DRs and Pharmacists working with each other in bad ways and it ultimately hurts the ones who really need them. No, I no longer see that DR or go to that pain clinic. I'm actually going in an hour to see a different DR that I saw in the past that I'm not too fond of but with WC my options are limited. Thanks for your response and that crazy story I hope everything works out for you in the long run.
  • sounds like you have been thru hell and glad your finally outta jail

Once you get back on some meds and back to semi norm I hope you sue the pants off that police dept..
    The false arrest could have cost you your life..being on those meds and just stopping them omg how horrible for you..
    Glad you found a doc and I wish you the best with wc ....its just horid the way most are treated with getting hurt on job..

I can't imagine all you went thru and the nerve of them not to contact your docs and just let you suffer like they did...
    Get free lawyer and sue them..best of luck with wc and hang in ther
    after that hell you can get thru alot
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • Well I saw the DR today and he put me on nothing. My blood pressure was through the roof so he knew I'm not faking the pain. But he is treating me like an addict because of what DRs put me on. I took myself off of them 3 weeks ago and he seems to think my pain is due to the withdrawal process. This is completely insane, I'm still being punished for taking myself off the meds unbelievable. I have lost almost 30 pounds because I can not eat I have no appetite because of the pain. What am I to do they set up a 4th MRI for this FRI., and a follow up with him next Tues. I don't have regular ins. and WC will probably not ok me going to another DR. I thought these DRs are suppose to help people in pain, yet they seem scared or hesitant because of what I was on. If I wouldn't have taken myself off I would still be getting my meds with no questions so I don't understand there thought process I guess. If anyone lives in Minnesota (St. Paul) and have a suggestion of a pain DR that cares about the patient and doesn't just read off the paper I would love any suggestions. Thank you everyone for listening. I love everyone and there feedback for a fellow person who is going through horrible spine and nerve issues.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I wish you were here in Phoenix. I'd take you to my PM doctor. You'd love them and they are SO good. I took a friend I met on-line and she is now treating with them. I am lucky, I had a decent PM and now a premier one.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I would try to put yourself in the doctors shoes. Knowing what just happened he needs to start at the beginning to find out what is wrong and what the appropriate treatment is. It is probably also good to give yourself a little more time to get those meds out of your system. The dangerous part of de-tox happened when you were in jail. Now you just have the painfilled part. The doctor will be able to start with a clean slate soon.

As far as the police -- you probably have a lawsuit however since you don't have any damage your award would probably be less than the cost to sue. If you had landed in the hospital or worse then there would be something to collect on. You were lucky that there is no lasting damage.

Take each day as it comes. Make sure your family understands that it is the pain talking so that they stay away and don't take your actions personally.
  • Brilliant last post.
  • That must've been just awful. Why don't you go back to the PC Dr. where you were when the police grabbed you? Maybe that Dr. had nothing to do with the arrest. I hope your Dr. can help with your pain. Before I wasn't able to work anymore I took Robax Platinum it's ibuprofen with methocarbonate a muscle relaxant and it worked pretty good for pain. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I appreciate the comments everyone. I would never set foot in that pain clinic again. The lawsuit is a patient confidentiality. There was no merit to arrest me just because I go to that clinic and I am bald. But on another note I went to this DR in May because my pc was dragging things out and my WC went online and chose him for another (5th) opinion. I went because I am willing to do anything. When there he nailed me to the gills about pain meds. He is the only DR, general practitioner so I'm going backwards, that had a problem with them. I've been to Neurologist, Orthopedic surgeons, Physical therapist, and not one have complained that it was too much or that it shouldn't be. I'm willing to try what he says but mentally and physically it's a tough battle that my family is having trouble understanding. But I appreciate the feedback and thank everyone for there comments.