Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bad back = The sack :(

hj_sparks85hhj_sparks85 Posts: 38
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I really need some advice. I had a Micro-D in Jan this year due to a bulging disc causing pain in my back and also nerve pain in my left leg & bum.
I had only been working in this job sine the Sept before but had been honest about my back - Was not as bad then!
I do work with kids in a creche, (My passion) which is not good but I do avoid lifting etc.
When I found out It was serious they were ok and I had 6 weeks off. They were supportive and managed to ease back fine, still a few niggles and days in bed. After my 5 months there, I had failed my probation as I thought but was put on for longer.
Since then, it has got worse and worse - I have been signed off a few times and had a meeting a while ago to see what can be done.
I was signed off again last week and returned today - to the news that I had yet again failed my probation and that they were giving me 2 weeks and if I have any time off in that time, I will be sacked. I have been referred back to the surgeon and need another MRI and possibly more surgery.
I am unsure as to what happens if I make it thru the 2 weeks. I was, and am still in shock!
I also am suffering with depression - I have done for years but this does not help things.

I have been told to see my doc and concider giving up work and relying in benefits until I know what is going on.
But then others are saying they can't do this. I know it's not their fault, its a business after all but I am only 25 and have no idea what to do for the best.

Sorry for droning on :(

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Can you let me know where you are? Some of the terminology makes me think you are perhaps out of the US?
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Hey there...not an easy situation.
    It sounds as if the probation is soley because of your health issues. Do not be ashamed of that. It sounds like the bigger issue is that you LOVE what you do and the thought of losing that will only make your pain worse.

But, things will get better.
    Do they think you re-herniated? I suspect your symptoms are back or they are doing an MRI b/c you aren't healing as quickly as they'd like.

If you are in the USA, you may be protected under FMLA. As for the job, it is the business and it sounds as if they are desperately trying to help you which is commendable. Regardless of what happens, thank them for trying to work with you. Who knows...maybe you can go back there in the future.

I wish I could offer you some suggestions.
    But in reality, you have 2 options (or 3)

1 - quit now but in my mind another 2-weeks is worth sticking around, especially if you don't know what's up with your back.
    2- wait out the 2 weeks and do what you can (don't overdo it) to try to pass the probation
    a) if you pass, great
    b) if you don't pass...then determine if it is best to be 'fired' or best to 'quit' from unemployment standpoint.

You are young so you have a lot to look forward to. This job is one of many you will have the opportunity to do...so don't let this get you down.

I wish you the best
  • Thanks both,
    I am in the uk!
    Failed my probation so am now in the process of claiming for benefits - I will do this until I can return to work. Had an app at the hosp today - he thinks poss re-herniated so sending me for another
    Just need to keep busy, I was unemployed before due to depression and sunk into a deep hole so really need to stay upbeat - I am only 25 and need to think of myself and get it sorted!
    So glad I have support from family and you guys.