Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

severe neck spasms post ACDF

BgravesAUfanBBgravesAUfan Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I am one week post multi-level ACDF. For last two days, I was doing great! I have adhered to all dr orders and taken medication as prescribed which had become just on an as needed basis. The last two days I did not require any meds. However, today I have had incredibly painful muscle spasms in my neck on same side as surgery site. At moments, this is completely debilitating and much worse than before or right after surgery. Took muscle relaxer and pain med tonight and it has not even touched the pain. I have been literally screaming out with pain. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this? I was fine until today!!?? I know my body has gone through many changes but I have never experienced pain quite like this. Help!

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I also experienced severe spasms during my healing period. Your muscles are very fired up following surgery. Have you tried ice or heat to help calm them down? Perhaps a stronger muscle relaxer is in order. Im not a doctor so Im only talking from my own experience and I had the same issue. My doc had to put me on a stronger relaxant, only then did I get some relief.

• In view of the level of pain you are experiencing, I would contact your surgeon for advice. Hopefully, it is just things settling down after surgery, but it would put your mind at rest to know that for sure. :-)

I hope that all is fine. Please do let us know what the outcome is. :D