Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Think we should have asked more questions

beaverbbeaver Posts: 189
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
after the surgery. We will not see our surgeon for eight weeks so I have some questions AGAIN! How long does the no lift/no push/ no pull stuff go on? Do you wait until they see that it is fused? Our family doctor told hubby to do whatever and that the pain will stop him. That just does not sound right to me at all. So should he wait eight weeks before he attempts to do much more than walking or are we being too cautious? He is experiencing no pain whatsoever and is not taking any pain meds.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    They are the only ones in a position to tell you what can and what can not be done.
    Many surgeons provide a list of items, explaining what things can be done and in what time frame.
    For some of my spinal surgeries, my surgeon spell out everything week by week.

But you can not wait until the appointment and I would be cautious about the statement, do things up to a pain level.

Play it safe, contact the doctor and ask all the questions you have. Best thing to do is to write each question you have on paper and when you talk to the doctor, make sure they address each of your questions.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• Some surgeons are very cautious while others are very cavalier about what you can do.

Mine said I could get back to my life, including driving and bending at 10 days - yes 10 DAYS after surgery. Needless to say, I was still cautious and didn't drive until about 5 weeks. I couldn't turn to look round and so didn't feel ready to drive.
    He doesn't use a brace either.

Others give a strict list of what you mustn't do and how long for.

It would be very interesting to know about success rates and speed of fusion and adjacent levels giving out, to try to work out what is the best way to achieve fastest fusion and not have any problems. I do think that if you have pain, you have done too much.

You do need to know what your surgeon's opinion is though. Please do let us know what he says. :-)

• I don't think that the second group of surgeons is being cavalier, but rather they are the ones who believe in mind, body and soul being used in order to heal. So many people who go to docs, are open to the powers of suggestion. So if a surgeon is ultra fine detailed don't do this, don't do that, the patient becomes incredibly paranoid and it becomes a case of paralysis through analysis. On the other hand, a surgeon who says go out and live your life and if it hurts back off a bit ... well the power of suggestion helps many to have very easy and shorter recoveries.

A lot of little things that we don't think about happen to our bodies when we suffer from pain and are recovering from surgery. Muscles, ligaments, tendons ... they are all affected. If we avoid doing "normal" things for too terribly long, we decondition even further which makes recovery all that much more difficult. By putting all of these ancillary body parts back to work as soon as possible, allows the body to support itself once again.

Beaver, it is quite normal to forget to ask questions, or to even know what questions you have, especially the first time having spine surgery. As has been said, write these down and contact your surgeon. Many surgeons will allow you to drop off a list or fax it to the office and then they will call you back after their case load clears for the day. As Ron said, the only person who knows enough information to make a valid recommendation, is the surgeon who did the work, saw the mechanics of your hubby's spine and knows his history.

Best of luck,