Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

? about Soma

RwillRRwill Posts: 300
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Pain Medications
I recently went to my PM doc and we discussed muscle relaxers. He put me on Skelaxin which I am liking a lot. During our conversation I learned that he will not prescribe Soma in his office at all, the reason being it is highly addictive and not good for chronic patients. I only bring this up because I use to take it and I recently saw a post of someone who is on it. Has anyone heard of this?

• It is sad that "addicts" can ruin a Dr's view of what medicines to prescribe... yes, Soma can be additive, but so is many others meds Dr's prescribe.. One thing I can not stand is that CP patients suffer because of people that misuse meds.. just guessing that is why your Dr is hesitant to write for Soma..
  • He apparently thinks that the risk is to high. Luckily there are lot of other muscle relaxers out there. I just thought it was an interesting tidbit since I know it's a popular drug. The doc agreed that it is an awesome drug but with the type of patients he deals with on a day to day basis he will not prescribe.
  • The addictive properties of soma I learned about and asked my doctor about it. HIs answer sure it has addictive values, but all the meds I have you on will require you to be titrate off of them. I have been using soma for almost 2 years now. Does your pm doctor not prescribe narcotics then? It is good the skelaxin is doing the trick for you. Unfortunately we moved me to soma so I could sleep some and have better coverage on the spasms. I had gone through a lot of them including skelaxin and soma seemed to do the trick so I am happy my pm doctor is not afraid of it.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    many different muscle relaxers. SOMA has been the one that is most effective for me. Prior to that I used Zanaflex, which was also very good, but combining that with all my other medications could risk higher levels in liver function tests.

Soma is addicting, it has been stated to be the more addictive than the other muscle relaxers.

My physiatrist is very conservative. She knows me in/out and understands that Soma is effective for me and that she has little concern if this would become addictive to me... Mainly because I am cautious about all medications.

I've been using Soma a little over a year now and it is still effective.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • He definately prescribes narcotics. I guess it is just a personal preference for him. There was like 3 meds he will not prescribe some,valium and I can't remember the 3rd. Very interesting....guess I am glad the other is working.
  • doc also took all his patients off Soma, which is horrible because for me, it was hands down THE BEST muscle relaxer I have ever taken that did not know me flat out for hours. Also, while on Soma, I took FAR LESS BT meds. Dumb doctors.

I now take Robaxin and it is okay. If you like Skelaxin and it works for you, you are lucky. For me, it was by far the weakest (but least side effect) MR ever tried.

I was put on Robaxin after being taken off Soma. I did stock up with a few months notice and now have some I can take on long car trips when I am in extra pain. Those will only last so long, though.

I firmly believe some PR campaign from another MR went around to all these docs and "scared" them off Soma and I have an idea who it was. Right when I was taken off Soma, I was literally forced to try Amrix, the once a day, long-acting Flexeril. I hated it and then they made me try a different dose. I got no relief whatsoever. When I refused to take it, I wasn't given an MR for a few months at all until I begged and was given Robaxin.

My back is full of metal, I have massive nerve damage and they think a MR is my biggest enemy. Crazy! If they are happy that I now take way more BT meds (that the "war on drugs" is trying to eradicate also) so that they can say I don't take Soma, have at it.

Politics - I firmly believe it is a victim.

• Seriously, a doctor who prescribes MORPHINE is not prescribing something because it's addictive?

I had a crack up with my doctor again yesterday when he switched me from the fentanyl patch to MS-contin. He said "Oh, you haven't been on the patch that long, you can go cold turkey." *snort* But really, all of this stuff is nasty addictive, if not habit forming. And we're all more than willing to deal with it if it works.