Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

having surgery on friday the 9th

southforkgirlssouthforkgirl Posts: 38
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi fellow spineys,
Im having a laminectomy L4-S1. I did my pre-op stuff last week and they sent me to a cardiologist because i had an abnormal ekg. I did a nuclear stress test yesterday and will get the results today. Hopeing they will clear me for surgery. Im sure its going to be ok but he says the ekg showed that I have had a minor heart attack at some point in my life. Wow, I had no clue. i never knew it. He said that tons of people have had small attacks and not even know it. Anyway, if all goes well then I off to Reno in the morning. Wish me luck! I will keep you informed afterwards. Love to all and God Bless

• Good luck to you! You, along with every single person who views this site, will be in my prayers. :D
  • Depending on what vessels and how badly they may be blocked you will most likely be sent to have a angiogram and maybe a stent installed. It is a overnight procedure if a stent is involved. It is not bad to have done. It would be wise of you to read up on it before you see your doctor so you have a idea of what may be going on and what some of your options may be.

This is all up to your doctors and nothing I just posted may apply to you.

Good luck and here's hoping you don't need to go down that trail.

• Hello SF girl,
    I see you are headed to Reno..I'm in Winnemucca,I too have had my surgeries in Reno.
    Hope everything works out and your surgery is a go.
    Have a good day!
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I hope it all goes well for you to have surgery. Thinking of you

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • You have my prayer heading your way. I hope every thing work out the way you want them to.

• I went through kind of the same thing. My EKG shows issues in one of the waves that a previous heart attack has happened. But I have had stress test and all is good on the stress test, so was cleared for surgery. Sometimes on the EKG it is a issue of paddle placement and there is no issues at all. So hopefully today will be uneventful for you and you will be heading to Reno tomorrow for surgery. Keep us posted and good luck on surgery.

• Wishing you well for your surgery, that it is successful and that your pain will be well controlled when you wake up. :-)

Good that they are being thorough and investigating the EKG results further. Best to know of any problems, so there are no surprises for them.

Hope that you have a good day tomorrow. Do something nice for yourself. Hope you will feel calm and confident. :D

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I went through the same thing, yet in my case they found nothing.....after 3 EKG's and nuclear stress test, etc. I was able to find out the results within 24 hours of the test. Of course I called my Orthopedic Spine Surgeon's medical assistant every day looking for updates on so much stuff she knew I'd be all over her.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Hopefully you are on your way for surgery. I had an abnormal EKG, thanks to the tech who put the leads on the left side only! According to it, I had an enlarged atrium, and several heart attacks already! I was sent for nuclear testing, and my heart was fine. I am keeping my fingers crossed that you had a bad lead placement and you are fine, and too given the green light!

Positive energy your way Southforkgirl!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.

• and hope that you have the green light.
    Hope that all goes well and when you wake up they are keeping you comfortable.

We'll be waiting to hear how you are, once you are able to post here. :-)
  • Hi Everyone,
    I was cleared for surgery after being perscribed atenolol(beta blocker). Im home now and doing good so far. pain is mostly from surgery and feet are numb but that will go away soon I hope. I had a little problem when I woke up. I couldnt get any air in and was pannicking which made it worse. they finally got me settled down enough to breathe. that was scarry. The dummies went into the waiting room and told my hubby that I was having trouble breathing and that he couldnt come back there yet until they got me stable. well that scared the crap out of him. But all is well now thank god. Thank you guys for your support. I will keep you posted. god bless
  • Shortly before my first fusion my cardiologist put me on Toprol. It has worked wonderfully for me. My PC doctor switched me over the Atenolol, and I think I feel even better on it! My insurance also doesn't get fussy over it! They were a pain with Toprol as they wanted me to take the generic - yuck!

Glad to see you are home and all is going well. Always good to hear! Yeah, I think if they did the same with my hubby, he would have been pounding the walls! Glad to see your back with us Southforkgirl!! *HUG*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • That's a scary feeling awakening in recovery not being able to breathe. I had that happen once and let the Anesthetist know that happened to me before and now with every surgery I get some ventolin to prevent that and it never happened again for me. Sorry to hear your husband had to hear that also at the time. Thank heavens you're home recovering. I pray you will heal completely. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Best wishes for your upcoming surgery Friday. I hope all your heart tests go well. My Mother was 51 when she had a silent MI and takes one pill everyday for it and she's fine in her 70th year. Prayers for your recovery. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN

• Sorry to hear of your problem straight after surgery, with your breathing.
    That must have been scarey!
    Hopefully now things have settled down, and being home, you can relax and start to heal.

Have you got help at home from your husband during the day?
    This early part of the recovery is the most difficult.
    As you move forward, things should start to get easier.

Give your body time to recover, and follow the rules you've been given, and hopefully soon you'll start to feel the benefit of the surgery.

Take care :-)
  • Hi All, Thank you for the support. Im so blue this morning. My hubby had to go back to work. I silly of me (I cried like a baby when he walk out the door). He has been so very good to me. He has been doing everything for me. He made me promise to just lay here and rest. If I need anything my family said they would come over. But I think Ill be ok. My stomach is a little upset this morning but ok. I miss my sweety. Love you all. Oh yea. I know its part of recovery but my legs this morning are so numb. Drives you crazy. Again, love you all. will keep you informed.

• I'm glad you came on here, if you were feeling alone.
    You are not alone, you have lots of new friends who will be here supporting you through this. :-) :H

Have a quiet, restful day, and your hubby will soon be back again. Do call for help from your family if you need it. It is so easy to hurt ourselves in the first few weeks.

What are you doing to pass the time? Reading? DVD or tv watching? This is a long recovery and the time will drag, but it will be worth it to improve your back.

Great time to try those hobbies that you always meant to have a go at. :-) Too early to do much yet, but the time will come when you will want something to pass the time.

Hope that you have a good day. :-)
    Enjoy that wonderful feeling of knowing that you are over surgery and on the recovery side. Isn't the relief wonderful? #:S

• So great to hear you were able to have your surgery and are home already!

I read an article that talked about the huge surge in hormone levels that one has following surgery! So, don't feel bad for your tears, they are very normal!

It even happened to my hubby 10 years ago following his lumbar fusion. We went to see his surgeon for a complication and he began to cry and wouldn't walk into the waiting room.....

Hopefully the time will fly and before you know it your hubby will be back home to spoil you! I'm sure he is having a hard time focusing at work!

We are here for you! :)

Wishing you the very best!
  • Thanks guys, Im really doing ok. I have been doing little bits of picking up and wiping off. Not to much but I think I will stop for the day. i took a little nap and Im really stiff and my back is swollen where they did the work. It will be ok. The surgery center called to check on me and said I could put some ice on it. Hubby will be home soon. Yay. As for the surgery being behind me. Its the small surgery and now I have to worry about the major surgery on my c spine. Yuck. They will be putting rods in posterierly. I think thats a word lol. Anyway, I had a 3 level fusion that failed 2 years ago. They will schedule it when I go back for my 6 week check up. Im not gonna let it get me down. Love you guys for the support.

• Hey Shari,
    I would be really interested to know about this article. Was it online? If so, I'd love the link to it.
    I have been having problems with my hormones since surgery! :?