Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sometimes I would like to be anonymous posting

beaverbbeaver Posts: 189
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
but here goes anyway. Hubby had fusion on June 24. Doing well, no pain whatsoever. However he thinks he would (blushing bright red here) like to have sex tonight. Is this a good idea? I don't want to hurt his fusion in any way.

• That is a normal thing in life and understandable why your concerned about it. But you can do one of two things call the surgeon and I bet they have the sheets explaining what you can do and positions or you can google it and find appropriate issues. You can enjoy and not be to concerned might be something new to brighten your life with.
  • Don't worry about it I think it is a very valid question. I haven't had a fusion but after laminectomy surgery my doctor was very supportive and told us to go for it if I was feeling up to it. I would call the docs office and talk to his nursing assistant to double check what he recommends. I think it would be safe to say it will not take much to have the desired outcome. :smile:" alt=":smile:" height="20" /> You might want to be the one in control so to speak. Good luck!!
  • are good to be worried. Did he have a fusion with hardware? Or a non-hardware fusion? My doc (on both types of fusions, 2 different docs) told me at least 6 weeks with no sex. I didn't wait, but made sure I personally didn't move, no bending, no twisting, no back and forth movement.

Is he talking about you doing all the work? If not, I would definitely check with the doctor, as you do NOT want to mess up a fusion! I personally would offer a "compromise" if you know what I mean, in the interest of not triggering massive back spasms and possibly other problems.

Good luck,

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Getting "into the action" can lead one to use lower back muscles, pelvic muscles, etc, and move around in ways they should not. It's easy to be careful about our backs when we are not in bliss. I'd worry that he may get into the action without realizing it and end up in some significant pain. For me I wouldn't even have considered it for 4 months, I just had too much discomfort.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Had L4/L5 PLIF fusion with full hardware 5/19/2010 and my ortho-spine surgeon said directly to both my husband and I at our consult, NO SEX in the traditional manner until after the 3 month check up. And as of my 6 week check up, I've started to fuse, but believe you me....no chances will be taken with this back surgery.......There are so many different ways to "skin a cat" and be close with your partner....use your imagination. :*
  • I am 4 months post op from 360, I waited a long time, even now I will have increased pain for the next day or two....even being careful!

Hang in there! :)

Feel free to ask any question, that is what we are here for! :)
  • L5/S1 fusion and laminectomy June 11th. My doctor told us to wait 3 weeks and that I had to be the passive partner. The doctor told us that there is nothing we could break, but that the muscles, the incision, and more importantly the fusion needs time to start.

Bottom line, after 3 weeks, and being male, I too was looking for a little activity. Keep in mind that there are plenty of ways to be intimate where the partner can follow the rules of no "BLTs".

I guess every doctor is different. Every patient is different. If it hurts, don't do it. If it breaks the BLT rules. Don't do it.
  • no need to be anonymous. Many of us have the same question or had it at some point.

The advice you've been given is good so I don't have much to add.