Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Going home!

staceysstacey Posts: 99
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am so excited! I had surgery on 6/28 and have stayed with my parents, who live one block away, since my discharge on 6/30. My mom took a short leave from work to be able to stay with me during the day time. My husband stops here every morning and every night. In the evening he brings my girls to see me. I thank goodness for modern technology! I can stay in continuous contact with my children by text messages. My first surgery, discectomy/laminectomy, was 5 years ago and my children were much younger. After that surgery too I stayed with my parents, along with my children. I feel that this recovery time has been SO much easier. Weird, huh? This was a much more major operation with many more restrictions and limitations, but I think the major factor for that is not having to worry about my girls.
I'm not saying that I'm not worried about them now, but it's so much easier now that they are teenagers. I think I spent my first time post-op being just as worried that my children would stress my parents more than I was worried about my recovery. This is the first time I've been away from them for more that 2 or 3 days. Again, cell phones are a God send.
But anyway, I'm headed home tomorrow night (Friday) and although I'm thrilled to go back, I am a little sad to leave my parents. They treated me like a queen and catered to my every need. I will forever be indebted and grateful.
Feeling amazing. I have had no leg pain since the surgery and now the incisional pain is starting to lessen too.
My question to anyone out there is, did you have a period after surgery that you felt extrememly well? I almost want to knock on wood...can this be real?? I've lived with chronic pain for the last 4 1/2 years so not feeling pain in my legs is a new sensation for me. How odd it is NOT to be constantly aware of your legs. I had my reservations before surgery and didn't want to get my hopes up too much. You know that saying-Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. That is exactly how I feel now. I prepared for the worst and it was unfounded.
Hoping that it's not just the meds affecting me and masking my pain so much that I've become delusional, but I'm thinking this may be it guys!!! :D

• Stacey you just found out that you never really leave your parents. YOu will always be their little girl.

My parents came in last year from Arizona for my shoulder surgery. It was more of a mutual caretaking (they are late 70's) but it was great to be taken care of by mommy again.

And the kids --- so much to worry about there. This last surgery my kids did most of my caretaking. But I still worried about them getting off to school and getting homework done. It's amazing how they step up to the challenge!!

But I'm sure you are very happy to be going back to your home. No matter how great Mom and Dad are there truly is no place like home.
  • Stacey,

No kids or parents here, but a great hubby! So glad to hear you are healing up well, and having positive good results to boot! Good for you Stacey!!! *HUG*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • So true Kris! I'm a nurse, so I'm the caretaker for the entire family. This is the 3rd surgery that I've had and each time I've come here afterward. I feels just like when I was 10. They have been so wonderful not only to me, but for my whole family. My husband works from 7-5 and by the time he gets here it's usually 6. Either my parents or my children have already prepared supper. That alone is a weight lifted. My girls are amazing caretakers too. I've put off this surgery for the last 10 months, trying (and succeeding :) ) to hold out until summertime so the kids would be out of school. I was unable to walk in November for about 2 weeks and was dreading to have to do this during the wintertime because of everybody's schedule. God is good and has gotten me safely here without any permanent damage to my legs.
    Just having one of those days where I am truly seeing a blessing in everything around me!
  • A wonderful husband is invaluable! Not only is he an awesome husband and father, but now is the only working member of the family lol...:)
    Hopefully next year I can return to work. I'm just not cut out to stay home. I'm quite domestically challenged. Again, thanks to the hubby!
  • Hi Stacey,

I'm sure you're so relieved to be home! As Dorothy said, There's no place like it :) Keep up the great recovery!!

• I think my son who had L5-S1 Fusion surgery on July 2nd is feeling much the same as you. He woke up from surgery with absolutely no leg pain. He just shakes his head in amazement!

Good luck with your continuing recovery! Enjoy being home with the family again. Time to get back to living.

• Stacey, your time with your parents looking after you will always be remembered. :-) I'm sure they are glad to have an opportunity to show you how much they love you.

It sounds like you are another success story.
    Doesn't it feel wonderful to lose that leg pain and be on the way to a better, more comfortable life?
    Do be careful and follow all the restrictions that you have been given. Sometimes, when we feel good, it is tempting to overdo it and hurt ourselves.

I am so pleased for you that things have gone so well. I hope that you will continue with a smooth road to full recovery.

Enjoy being back home again!! :D

• Hi, I pretty much mirror your feelings almost exactly. Not as horrendous as I though. And day after surgery not having pain down the legs is such a weird feeling or (non-feeling). I'm post-op 8 weeks now. Down to one or two pain pills
    every 12 hours, feeling really great. Just getting lower back fatigue after being on my feet A LOT OF TIME....walking, standing, might I say skipping? It is truly a blessing and a miracle of modern medicine. Good luck on yr recovery.
    mel v.
  • Well, I'm home now. The ride back from my parents house was 1.1 miles and now I feel like crap! 1.1 miles! I would have been better off walking home. I've been feeling wonderful for the past 3 days and that little car ride just blew that out of the window. So disappointing [(
    On a better note, I had handmade welcome home banners spread throughout the living room. I had a huge pot of spaghetti on the stove and a freshly baked cake. The yard is mowed and trimmed and looks amazing. My girls' really outdid themselves. So glad to be home. Now I'll just chill for a while and hope the pain resides.
    I was given the "don't do a thing" speech from my mom before I left her house. Then given the exact same speech when I got home.
    Thank God for good family!
  • I woke up in my own bed this morning, feeling a little lost. Had that moment of "where am I".
    I'm feeling better than when I got home last night after that little car ride. It's great to be home. While at my parents, I'd see my children and husband everyday, with the girls sometime sleeping over to be with me. That made the seperation a lot easier, along with the phone, texting, and computer :) I was missing my animals terribly. One of the girls let it slip a couple of days ago that one of my cats and one of my dogs were not doing too well without me and seemed to be depressed. This has happened before, to the point that one of the cats stopped eating completely. Well when I came home they all went through a couple of moments of staring and sniffing, then all went back to normal. My husband, I think, felt a little regected because he said he was doing everything he could think of to cheer them up.
    I don't mean to sound like I'm nutty, but second to my children, those little creatures are my babies!:)
    While school is in session and hubby is at work, it's just us, so they are very spoiled and pampered. I actually cried when I saw them last evening. I guess I didn't realize just how much I missed everything.
    Well anyway, I'm praying that the terrible pains don't start again. Planning on doing nothing but walking, walking, and more walking. For me it helps immensely.
    Wishing you all a happy weekend!
  • Hi Stacey, welcome home. :-)

Now get plenty of rest. Sounds like you have an amazingly supportive family. They are a real blessing for you and obviously love you loads. :X

So, you have no excuses to overdo it!! Lol!
    Just try to enjoy being pampered while you allow your body to heal. Take those walks, but give yourself plenty of time before you try to do anything.

Keep coming here to let us know how you are doing.
    It is so lovely to read of another successful story. :D
  • Welcome home and I'm so glad you're past surgery and moving along nicely.

I understand about the pets - my little Wally chewed up some carpet on the day of my surgery. I was scheduled for a 3:30pm surgery and of course check-in time was 1:30. For some reason, I didn't wake up from in the recovery room until 9:30pm so my hubby and MIL didn't get home until after 10 pm and my little guy just couldn't handle the stress and chewed up some carpet.

You're still early in recovery so please take it easy and enjoy all the pampering and love. You're very lucky to have so much help and caring around you and that always help us recover better.

Congratulations on being on the other side and being home again. Continue to take care of yourself and you'll be better and better before you know it. Don't overdo things when you're alone and feeling good - it's easy to let those guilty feelings creep in when everybody's off to work or play and there are things that need to get done. We've all done that and payed the price.

Again, welcome home and it's been nice reading your encouraging story.

• Welcome home! Home Sweet Home! It is so nice to sleep in your own bed, use your own bathroom and putter in your own kitchen. :)

Over doing it is so easy to do, especially as the rest of the family resumes their activities and schedules.

I did it many times! I would look at all the things that needed to be done that no one else seemed to see. I would tell myself that I would just tend to one thing......which would lead to many!

What a difference 4 months makes! We got home from the beach 3 days ago, and I still haven't finished unpacking and laundry! Nope! And I am happy about it! :)

Presurgery, I cleaned my house each night before I went to bed! Now, I look around and name the dust bunnies! :) heehee

Enjoy your family and your love to be together!

• Shari,
    You are a great example to us all :D
    of how to learn to not stress about the things that need doing.
    I'm learning from you sister! :D

You are so right, the are more important things than a bit of dust/dirt. Our health is at the top of the list. ;)