Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lyrica vs Topamax

Lela1122LLela1122 Posts: 119
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Chronic Pain
Okay, I have a quick question for my chronic pain friends, I had an ACDF on June 8th, I am almost 5 weeks out, I feel pretty good surgery pain wise. The marjor shoulder pain is gone, arm pain is gone. I am left with neck pain, headaches, (not the horrible ones) I did have those a couple of weeks ago. My major complaint is is the nerve pain. I have nerve pain that radiates down both arms down my spine and into my feet. It feels like when you have a fever and are achy all over but I have no fever. The right thumb hurts like it did before surgery, (that was the nerve that was pinched).
Heres my quandry, I called my pm doc and told them that the nerve pain was really bad and I wanted to try the Lyrica again. I had been on Topamax 200mg a day. I wanted off the Lyrica because I told the pm doc that I was bipolar and I felt like it was making me a bit manic. I called and talked to his nurse she said go ahead and go back on it if you like, just go off the topamax, this was two days ago, I get a call from her saying the pm doc does not want me on the lyrica to stay on the topamax, I already stopped the topamax and statred the lyrica again and my pm doc is on vacation. UGHHHH..... The nurse from pm said to call my neurologists office and ask them what I should do. I just cant believe it the mix up. I had told pm nurse I was staying on the Lyrica no matter what pm doc said, I have to do something to feel better.

I have to say that when I called my neurologists office she was a bit confused as to why I was calling them to get meds filled or questions answered when my ns or pm should be taking care of it.

I guess I am just venting, need my spiney friend to help out here!!!! Thanks Lela

• Lyrica here, 150mg 2x a day. I am 11 months out, and with fusion issues coupled with Neuropathy, Lyrica has allowed me to function. I am not thrilled with the weight gain, but as I told my NS, "I will take weight gain over pain any day!"

Between my pool and elliptical, it is slowly coming down. I figure I didn't gain it fast, so not going to rush to lose it and get on the yo-yo roller coaster!! :) Nerve pain is the worst! I've broken bones, torn ligaments and muscle, and I don't remember it ever feeling like nerve pain.

I so hope you can find a nerve med that gets along with you, and gives you relief!! *HUG* As far as venting woman, you already know, *WE* are all here to talk with, support and help. I had my vent a week ago. Most of us get there at one time or another! Please let us know how it works out. I will send bunches of positive energy your way woman!!! Support *HUGZ* for ya!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • a Godsend for me for the nerve pain. I took Topamax two years for the relief of migraine headaches (it's an anti-seizure medicine, not a nerve pain med, per se).

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I can't take Lyrica either. I take Topamax and it is a sad second best. My personal opinion is to follow your PM's advice- I know pain is hard to deal with, but a severe manic episode would be a tragedy.

I put on so much weight and my blood pressure and cholesterol skyrocketed. I had to give it up :(
  • Thanks guys, I guess I also was disappointed with my pm's nurse one day I call in she says okay go back on it, then after stopping topamax and going back on Lryrica she calls and says pm doc is out of town, I just cant bounce from one medication to the next.
    I didnt realize the nerve pain was going to be so bad after my surgery. Feel like crying as I am writing I am just so tired of it. I mean I am happy about the other pains going away, just weighting to go back to work and getting my life back! It is coming back dont get me wrong! I am happy have a wonderful husband who loves me and would do anything for me. So, I am going to call ns office next and talk to them about it. thanks again wonderful circle of spiney friends Lela
  • Lela,

I hear ya there with the frustrated feelings! I think we've all been there, and sometimes continue to 'been there' as they say. :) Hopefully this will all settle out for you on that phone call. I hope you get some answers. *hug*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
This discussion has been closed.