Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recovering from ALIF w/ Posterior Hardware

scmgurusscmguru Posts: 103
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:45 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Had an L5S1 ALIF surgery w/ posterior hardware less than 10 days ago to replace a bad L5S1 Disc (DDD).

Was out of the hospital 2 days after the surgery (3 days total) but had to go back in this week and have revision surgery to adjust some hardware.. I'm about 36 hours post surgery on that.

Cant sit/write much but I just wasnted to get the discussion going if anyone had any questions.

I'll definitely post more in the next week.

So far so good.. I was walking right away w/o a walker or crutches and even made it up the stairs to our home without much ado.

There's definitely pain there.. especially from 2nd surgery but all in all I feel a vast improvement over the original problem.

Cheers,

advertisement

Comments

• Wow, so sorry to hear that you had to have a revision to your surgery, but it is good to hear that you seem to be headed in the right direction now!

Hang in there, rest, walk, sleep, repeat :)

Wishing you the very best in your recovery!
  • How did they know to do revision surgery? Do they take x-rays after surgery or were you having pain? Anyway glad everything is on the mend now. Take care and all the best for your recovery. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • What a shame that you needed revision surgery, but I hope you'll be able to get around more soon.

Let us know how you're going, and wishing you all the best for your recovery.

Trish

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Thanks for the note.. the 2nd surgery definitely set me back quite a bit.

They knew they needed to do it because I could not straighten out my right leg w/o the sciatic nerve lighting up 0all the way from my back to my toes.

Dr. did a CT and X-Rays and even though the MRI looked good, he was suspicious for scar tissue/screw positioning.

I know he didn't take going back in lightly and I absolutely trust his decision.

Post surgical upglrade:

I've got a lot of pain right in the middle of my lower back. I'm wondering if it is right where my disc was replaced by the implant.

When I walk, I feel a really intense deep, sometimes sharp pain dead center in the middle of my lower back and a sharper pain seems to correspond to every step.

Since I'm only 6 days out of my 2nd surgery, I'm not going to worry too much, though I do have a call into my dr. just to make sure.

I must say this has been a lot more painful to recover from than my MicroD (especially after the right side revision a week later).

I'm trying to get an idea of when I should be able to walk without a lot of pain/sit without pain.. I'm sure it is different for everyone.

THanks for everyone's support.
  • Tough question as pain is so uniquic to each person and what could be very painful to me, might not be to someone else....

Having 2 surgeries as close to one another as you did, has to cause increased bone, nerve, muscle and soft tissue pain.

I know you said you have a call in to your surgeon, which of course is always the best place to start! Let us know what he says!

Hang in there! Wishing you the very best in your recovery!
advertisement