Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

tammypttammyp Posts: 49
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Pain Medications
Hi all
Just wanted to share my experience with this drug.
After reaching my limit with the ESI's for the year and no results with any of the muscle relaxers my PM decided to try Nucynta with me.
I am allergic to Hydro and percs so I am limited on pain meds.
Anyway I have been on this since Wed and I have to tell you that I am having great results.
It has calmed the nerve pain down by 70%, I have no muscle spasms for the first time in 6 months and my back pain is much better.
I was never expecting this to cover so many areas of pain.
I have had some side effects
Itching.. almost gone now
A little shakey
Crazy dreams and my appetite has dropped.
None of these are severe enough to stop the med since it is working so well.
God only knows what the long term effects will be but for now I am very pleased and only have to take one med for all my symptoms.

• Wow, so glad it is working well for you!
  • I also recently tried Nucynta and did pretty well with it. My main side effects were dizziness and dry mouth- It didn't make me nearly as drowsy as hydrocodone and oxycodone, so that was a huge plus. My only problem is that it doesn't last the 6 hours it is supposed to. I also tend to get very weepy and almost have anxiety or something when it wears off which is weird. Have you had any of that?

I'm about to add Savella to the mix to see if that helps it last longer and helps with the crash I seem to get- my PM doc thought the constant on/off of the SNRI in the Nucynta is causing it.

Thanks for sharing- I had never heard of this drug until a few weeks ago, and was glad to learn about it since the studies show it is better tolerated than some of the other meds. I'll be interested to hear what others have to say about it...

P.S. Tammy, did you get a coupon for it from your doctor? I got one from my PM doc, but if you didn't there is one on the Nucynta webpage.
  • One of my friends takes this. He swears by it. Said it works better than any other pain killer he has tried. He unfortunately is one of the unlucky ones that will be forever on pain meds. There is no solution to his thorasic problems and they get more severe everyday.
  • Lasts almost 7 hours for me. I almost want to skip a few doses just to make sure its really working this well.
    I have some anxiety and shakey after taking it for a few hours.
    After 5 days the itching has stopped.
    Still don't have a big appetite.
    I took my first dose of the day at 9 Am and am just starting to feel my spasms kick in.
    Yes my dr gave a a coupon. It was pay no more than $25. But my ins covered most of it and it was only $20 so I didnt even use it.
    I wish I could hear more people chime in with their experiences.
    So far I am really impressed.
    I will follow up with more next week.
  • Hi,
    I took Nucynta for two months. Dosage was 100mg 4x a day. As for controlling the pain I was impressed, much better than Percocet and lasted longer. After about three weeks the time of pain relief started dropping to around five hours from six. Then I started to get hair crawling headaches the longer I waited to take the next dose. Headaches unlike any other I have had before. This went on for about a week and a half then stopped. Then in another two weeks the same thing again. It was especially bad when I would wake in the night after six to seven hours, oh my did my head hurt. I would take my next dose and the headache would slowly go away. This did not go away this time. I weaned down and stopped taking them. The headaches stopped three days after stopping the Nucynta. I went back to lortab because of upcoming surgery in August so I can take Percocet after the surgery and get pain relief. I did like the way Nucynta worked, just not the headaches. Not many drugs cause me any sideffects but this one did.
    I was taking this for pain in the heel, nerve and mechanical.
    I hope you do not have these issues and continue to find relief with it.
    God Bless,
  • I finally found a good PM practice and the first thing they did is take me off of Hydrocodone and put me on Nucynta. I am way behind on my sleep, so maybe that is the root issue, but my first day taking this med I felt like I was narcoleptic (wanting to sleep constantly). Again, maybe I was just overtired? Maybe the medication helped with the pain enough that I was able to sleep? I really don't know. I hope this will not be a daily side effect. If so, I will be getting off of this pretty quickly.

I've been on Hydrocodone for 15 months and so this was a little scary for me to switch so suddenly. However, I was very impressed with this PM practice that I want to do whatever they recommend because I see that they really want to help me.
  • The PA who prescribed Nucynta seemed extremely knowledgeable and he said that there would be no issue in suddenly switching from Hydrocodone to Nucynta since they are both narcotics.

I've spent the past 48 hours in more pain than usual, and it's different pain, not as sharp, more like my leg is on fire. I can't stand the feeling like I need to sleep constantly. For the past two days, I've taken 3-4 hour mid-day naps in addition to a full night's sleep since starting this med.

I looked up the side effects and somnolence is a common side effect. I don't know if I'm being too impatient with this. Will it go away? Will the pain relief improve?

I feel like I have the flu. How can that not be withdrawal? I was feeling fine prior to this.

• I believe Nucynta is in the same family as tramadol. Do people go cold turkey from Hydrocodone to that family well?

• I was told by the PA who prescribed it, as well as the Pharmacist, that this is a Class II narcotic and it should actually be more potent than Hydrocodone and that there should be no withdrawal issues.

I filled a prescription for 112 pills (odd number?) at a cost of $255 only to find out that after taking eight pills, this medication is useless to me. The PA told me to try taking Hydrocodone during the day and one Nucynta at bed time. Well, after a couple of hours, I was writhing in pain again. I went back downstairs and took a Hydrocodone and felt better within an hour or so.

I think this was prescribed with the best of intentions of helping me, but now they are saying that if it doesn't work, I can just go back on Hydrocodone. Oh well, nice try.

Take Care,
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapentadol

I guess this does say that pain control wise, Nucynta has been more along the lines of hydrocodone, and it is schedule II. Sorry it didn't work for you :(
  • Thanks for the link.

This was prescribed by the Pain Mgmt PA, based upon my first consultation with him. I think the guy was very sharp and the dual-mode aspect of this medicine made perfect sense for me, at least in theory. I was very hopeful that this would provide even better relief for me than hydrocodone.

I do have data from a genetic test that suggests that I'm not able to metabolize certain medications very well. Why this particular med didn't help me, I don't know, but I guess I'm not surprised.

Again, I give the PA a lot of credit for at least trying!
  • I tried Nucynta and actually liked the way it worked for nerve pain. However, it did not work that great for my back pain. It also caused a bit of anxiety. My pain management doctor recently put me on Hydrocodone and tramodol, these two work great together, I am also using trazadone to help with the sleeping. Just to note, there is a Extended release Nucynta coming out in the future. Hope everyone can find some relief!!