Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

driftwoodddriftwood Posts: 81
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I was prescribed Valium at night to help me sleep and to help break the cycle of spasms.

I think it helped alot. I woke up feeling much more at ease and normal.

Has anyone used Valium for muscle spasms? Is it just for relief or does it actually help get rid of them?

• Hi Driftwood,

Valium can be used for spasms, many times it's combined w/ a muscle relaxant since the 2 meds compliment each other and the spasm relief is better. I was given valium & flexaril for the muscle spasms and for pain relief a combination of percoset, fentanyl patch & ultram. The med cocktail worked well and kept me very comfortable when I came home.

Hope this helps,

• hmmm, I was under the impression that Valium is used as a skeletal muscle relaxer?
  • I loved my valium for the muscle spasms, it seemed to help a lot, my fist appointment with pm took me off of it saying it was too addictive to take for a long period of time, they had me try zanaflex,soma andanother one that right now the name escapes me. I liked my valium, it was 5 mg three times a day, I wouldnt even take it but twice a day. But the soma worked. Good luck Lela
  • Diazepam (Valium, etc.) is one of the most effective skeletal muscle relaxants. I'm surprised a doctor would prescribe more than one of the same type of drug for muscle spasms. I've found it superior to other muscle relaxants like tizanidine, carisoprodol, metaxalone and others. Clonazepam (another benzodiazepine) also works very well for muscle spasm and I've found it also has some effect on nerve-related pain. Tolerance can be an issue with this class of drug though, and I personally find them more effective when used on an occasional basis.
  • Thanks for your comments.

I've got valium that I take for muscle spasms ever since my TLIF and my doc wants me to get back on flexiril. Flexiril works ok for me (except for the extreme dry mouth), but I've found that the valium also helps my anxiety attacks (which I've never had addressed, except telling my surgeon).

I've been taking the valium daily (x3) and with your comments, I think I'll change back over to the flexiril and save my valium for those "special times" when I've got a little more going on than just spasms or if the spasms get severe.

• Cath, I find that Valium helps with anxiety as well. It's a very helpful drug to a lot of people, either for muscle spasms or anxiety/insomnia. It's a pity that the benzodiazepines have this propensity for causing physical dependence and tolerance if used for a prolonged time. I am prescribed Valium, Rivotril (Klonopin in the US) and Xanax by three separate doctors. I don't take them all, of course (one kind at a time is enough for me!). The doctors here in Taiwan generally have no problem with prescribing tranquillizers and sleeping pills, but it's practically impossible to get them to prescribe any kind of opioid medication, even weaker ones like codeine.

I don't think I've tried Flexeril before. The drugs used here are sometimes different to the ones commonly used in the States or Europe. I find chlorzoxazone quite helpful sometimes (it's similar to Valium but not the same type).