Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pelvic Tilt

coyfishccoyfish Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Chronic Pain
Im pretty sure I have this condition. I played a ton of soccer during my teens and was forced to stop because I started developing chronic shin pains. I am 22 and I have lower back pain, hip pain, and leg pain. None of it is debilitating but it is definitely noticeable and abnormal. For one I cant spread my legs much. I used to do karate when I was young and I was able to kick above my head. Now if I go above waste level I get a sharp pain in my lower back / hip. It isn't lack of flexibility but just inability if that makes sense.

It seems like my legs are not symmetrical. My right leg seems to turn inward and appear bowed while my left appears more normal. This is evident when I run / sprint.

The pain gets bad when I stand / walk for long periods of time or do legs / lower back in the gym. Which leads me to my next point.

I read that a chief cause of pelvic tilts are muscle inadequacies due to inactive lifestyles. That is certainly not me. I have been working out for years and I am a high level tennis player which doesn't aggravate my problem like soccer did.

Anyone with similar problems / advise ? Thanks

• Hi coyfish. I am not a doctor but I can offer my experience and knowledge...so here goes,

The pelvis is attached to the lower body at the hip joint which is a ball and socket joint. It sounds to me like you may have a few issues going on and I would go see an orthopedic spinal surgeon who is fellowship trained.

It sounds like you maybe describing what is often refered to as a positive single leg raise test when you describe standing and lifting your leg as high as you can and having pain.

It also sounds like you may have an inbalance of your muscular system which can cause a malaliegnment or asymmetry of your musckuloskeletal system vs a pelvic tilt.

Pelvic tilt is when you are sitting (or standing) and you "roll" your pelvis backward ie posterior pelvic tilt which causes you to "slouch" or "collapse". Anterior pelvic tilt is when you roll your pelvis forward which causes you to sit very straight and stick your chest out.

Sometimes because of muscle inequality due to spasms, weakness on one side, etc one side will get stuck in posterior or anterior pelvic tilt and the other side isn't.

That can cause alot of pain. When it happens to me, it cause pain in my hip, knee and ankle.

I think you should be evaluated by a doctor. Sometimes, just going to physical therapy can resolve this!

Good luck and feel free to ask more questions if needed! I hope this is helpful.
  • That kind of muscle imbalance is often well treated by a good physical therapist. You'll need a prescription from your doctor, so yes you'll have to have a medical check-up. So if that's what you think you have, follow up for sure!

• Hi,
    Don't try to self doctor yourself. There are several conditions that could cause these issues. Knocked Knee will also show these signs your talking about. Please seek the professionals that know what they are talking about. People on this site will give or honestly should only give information related to their conditions. They are not doctors. Your condition needs to be address before it gets worst. Good luck

• I had always had one stirrup adjusted about 2 inches shorter than the other (I am 5 foot 11 inches) and my doc told me I needed corrective surgery and we may as well do that while he did the fusion. Big mistake! I am not sure if that is what you have, mine was in the bones, not muscle but I'd be careful having any surgical correction unless you get a lot of information. Good luck, I guess that probably doesn't help too much..
  • Have an ortho doc check you for SI joint dysfunction.
    This is not to be confused with s-one which is the base of the spine...sacrolisic joints attach the spine to the pelvis..and are a source of pain and weakness, and frequently ignored by health professionals. It took me 4 years to get helped for my pain. But, after I did get the diagnosis, and a surgery, I am not "cured" but am better than I was.
    Good Luck...keep looking for the people to help you and I found help by googling info under SI joint.
This discussion has been closed.