Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SSD Hearing questions PLEASE!

tarheelgirlttarheelgirl Posts: 473
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Health Insurance Issues
Hi Ya'll,

I read very often and post seldomly. After 2 years and 2 denials, I have been given a hearing date about one month out. I have so many questions, if any of you could even answer one, I am so appreciative.

First, a reminder that I'm 37 and have very similar stories as each of you. I have very strong medical evidence of being disabled per my doctors and my attorneys, Binder and Binder, said it should have been a slam dunk case if I weren't under age 50. During this time, my family lost our home and were forced to file bankruptcy and it's still very shaky b/c of the nursing salary I made before. I haven't worked since Oct 07.

Well I am terrified...and that is an understatement...about my upcoming court date! I cry just thinking about it. My husband reminds me that it's not an "acting job", but it's about being myself that day. My docs have limited me to standing, sitting, walking to 20 minutes at a time and B&B say to show this during the interview. I haven't driven in 2 years...my liscensed elapssed and I have no reason or ability to go b/c drving is too uncomfy. My hubby works full time at work and home as I do no laundry, vacumming, dishes. I seldom dust. We have 5 kids that have a different mommy than 2-3 yeaers ago. It's sad. My doctor makes home visits occasionally when I flare up out of control. This life, as most of you know, is hard. I feel that saying all this sounds so desparate. I get depressed and I'm on so many miligrams of morphine a day that I can not remember or concentrate and sometimes can't stay awake. How do I convey all this to the judge or does he really want to hear it all?

Will he or the attorneys ask more questions?

Is it a good sign or not that they haven't sent me for medical or pscyh eval of their own?

What's the % of cases that finally get approved at hearing level?

What is the judge looking for me to look like? I mean, I'm not mangled. I do limp most days and grimace in pain and I have a cane that I use mostly when my kids are not around so I don't embarrass them. Ihave handicapped parking, but rarely use itb/c someone is always worse off than me.

I'm just so frightened and nervous to go to hearing. Please, anyone who can, tell me your experience or answer some of my questions?

We are going to ask my doctor to go with me...will that help?
Thanks everyone and God bless!

• Why have you been denied benefits? This information would be helptful to better answer your questions.

It sounds like you have everything going for you to get approval besides your age. From what I have heard over the past two years, at this point I have a feeling things will be ruled in your favor. You haven't worked in over a year, you have doctors saying you are disabled, you are no longer able to perform nursing duties and it doesn't sound like you will be capable of being retrained in another profession.

Don't worry about what will happen during the hearing, your attorney will be with you to guide you along. I don't think it is necessary to have your physician with you.

Best wishes,

• Mostly what you need to win is all you surgery and dr, reports Also you need to see a DR with in last 6 months. But mostley if you been turn down twice before the third time you got about 80% in winning.So good luck and I wish you the best.

PS this is what I been told by my lawer But I won the first time.
  • good luck on your upcoming case.. =D> most cases go before a judge and require an attorney now.. sometimes you have to go several times to get approval but it sounds like you have things in your corner and should have no problems.. i also was approved the first time i went for my hearing so it is possible for you as well. let us know how it goes for you! Jenny :)
  • for your comments. I am just so nervous. I guess I was turned down before b/c they felt I could do somthing. I don't know how much with my restrictions of no sitting, standing, walking for 20-30 minutes at a time, no abilty to drive to a job, inability to concentrate and function. I was told by my attornies it was largely b/c of my age (I'm 37).

So, it sounds to me that the attorney will do most of the talking in the hearing? Do they usually ask you to describe your day? I filled out a daily activity report a while back for them. My husband said I shouldnm't take my pain medicine that day, so my pain will not be controlled well. I don't know? I don't know what to wear. My family has gone thru the financial ringer since I've not been working and I just feel I'm going to break down and I bet the judges hate to see people sit there and cry! But, I tear up thinking about it! ugh!

any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Id love to hear more stories of those who have gone thru a hearing.

• best of luck to you at your up-coming hearing.

just wanted to tell you, i agree with your husband about the meds.
    but i'm sure the judge has seen that before, but it is worth considering, if it was me i would. but only you can decide.

good luck
  • I agree with Jim on one point, and that being its your call. Deceit is equally as easy to see through on the flip side. I can almost guarantee judges have seen people 'not take' meds as per doctors orders to 'show' how much they hurt. It isn't always in your favor to do that. Just my 2 cents.

Most times you will be allowed to speak on your own behalf. To be able to verbalize to the judge "how you feel" when you aren't on medications can be more powerful since sincere than not taking meds - you are then more emotional and not as clear off the drugs if you are truly hurting. Please let us know how it goes.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • you guys have great points of view. Like my husband says, I don't have to "act"...I just need to be myself and just let honesty shine thru. I'm not a liar anyway and I'd feel uncomfortable to do so. My case is strong...I just fear my age that's all.

Thanks everybody. I cherish your opinions. Anyone else want to chime in, please do...I'm here to listen! I willkeep you updated on how it goes. About 6 weeks away and ticking.

Blessings to you all.
  • I don't have to "act"...I just need to be myself and just let honesty shine thru.
    Looks like you're married to a wise man!! :) That is the point I was trying to make for you concerning medication 'yes/no' for the hearing. The judge too will be able to see you for you. Smart man there.. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.