Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

how much?

tarheelgirlttarheelgirl Posts: 473
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Pain Medications
Hi, can anyone tell me how many miligrams of morphine/oxycodone you are on per day? I added my up and I'm on over 300 mg b/n the ms contin and oxycodone!!! That really freaks me out! someone help me feel I'm not the only one. I don't drive, I haven't in 2 years...let my liscense lapse and while I can control the pain "most" days now, I am foggy headed, forgetfull and such. What about you?

• Developing tolerance and having to increase the dose is normal.

I haven't had to yet. I just started MS-contin and am on 15 mg x 3, so 45 mg/day. I take 30 mg/day of hydrocodone. My accident was 2 1/2 years ago and my pain levels were up and down until this year when they have just been steadily increasing with no breaks.

My pain isn't really well controlled at the moment, though.

Why would you feel bad? Tolerance is a normal physiological reaction to opiate use. And you use them because you are in pain. I would just assume you've been in this longer than I have.
  • I can definetly sympathize with the forgetfulness. I've been on topamax for years and I know that's where it comes from. The side effects you mentioned are normal for those medication. I wouldn't be concerned, especially if you're not driving. If it gets to the point where you are falling asleep or nodding off in "unappropriate" places, like the line in the grocery store, in the middle of a conversation, etc., then I'd bring it up to the doctor.

So, so true about building up a tolerance and needing stronger doses to control pain. Also remember that some medications are have higher milligram doses than others. Take your over the counter medications for example: Tylenol comes in a strength of 500 mg whereas Ibuprofen come in 200 mg doses. So the mg for each particular medicine don't necessarily work better because they are a higher dosage than another, they may both start at such huge differences. The only reason I'm mentioning this is because my mom went through a similar period where she thought she was taking too much of something, but she wasn't because the dosage for that particular medicine started at 800mg and another started at 25mg. So you'd pretty much have to know what the dose range is for every single medication.

To answer your original question-prior to surgery I was taking a max dose of hydrocodone-60mg a day and now I'm taking percocet, which just so happens to have the same dosages, total 60mgs a day.
    About a year ago, I was on a duragesic patch-100mcg, with the same hydrocodone dosage of 60mg totat per day for breakthrough pain. I changed the patch every other day. Now that was a lot of medicine looking back on it :O

Best of luck to you! And again, if you're not having unusual amounts of side effects then you're probably right where you need to be to manage your pain effectively.
  • I also let my license expire. I live close to the bus, subway though I rarely use them my husband drives me everywhere to Drs appointments mainly.

I took 120 mg of MS contin until January and converted that equals Oxycontin 80. But my Dr. put me on 120 mg. I told her I rarely take 120mg and try to get by on 80mg a day but I had some meds left over and sometimes I still take 120 mg Oxy. Are you taking muscle relaxers and nerve pain meds also?
    I know being in pain for over 2 years Dilauro(Ron) has in FAQ the blend which may help deal with tolerance by using other methods to help with pain.

I can't remember your history anyways I hope you're comfortable with your medication dose, it's never easy to understand different pain thresholds of each patient being so unique with their needs and whether you have had surgery or not we can still look for other ways to help to stave off tolerance to one opioid. I sought 3 opinions from pain management Drs to help with injections and aqua therapy and Physiotherapy to help deal. I've tried to get out of bed but without taking meds it's impossible even to make a cup of coffee. I hope you're doing well. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I agree, Charry! My therapist has been working on guided imagery with me and it has been great! I am going to buy a tape on pain management.
  • I agree, Charry! My therapist has been working on guided imagery with me and it has been great! I am going to buy a tape on pain management.
  • I have never tried guided imagery. Sounds interesting. I've never been to a psych about my pain...I think that is the only thing I haven't tried.

Yes, Topamax, aka "Dopamax"...I was on that for a while and as long as I stayed on 50mg twice daily, I was ok...going to a higher dose really made me forgetful! I really think taking ambien to help me sleep has an effect on my memory too.

I do take a muscle relaxer...Soma. It's been the best one I've taken (tried zanaflex, amrix, skelaxin, flexaril). I like the Soma now.

My med schedule is now this (I was on Kadian but my copay was too high...had to go back to MS contin)...

60mg MS contin in am
    100mg MS contin in afternoon
    75mg at night

I also have oxycodone tabs 30mg that I can take 3 times per day for breakthru pain (so 90mg day)

This does work pretty well for me...but I get worried bc I don't see where I'm going from here. I've been on fentanyl patches before, but hubby is against them...thought I wass too sleepy and is afraid of breakage.

So, I read where someone said they were on 400-500mg of ms a day...so I guess there are some who take as much as I do. I hate the tolerance issue.

Thanks for popping by my post to answer my questions!