Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

sued {sue} is having a fusion on the 14 July i want to wish her the best

strakerstraker Posts: 1,851
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Recovering from Surgery
.i know its a bit early sue .but i wish you all the best with your operation and i hope everything goes to plan .we are all here for you and i am sure we all want the best possible outcome for you .head for the hospital try to remain calm just go with the flow .good luck sue from all of us
tony xx

• I've just read your post. Thanks alot for your support. I've got to phone the hospital tonight to make sure there's a bed available - in one way I hope there is, but the chicken in me hopes there isn't - does that make sense? Oh well, what will be will be.

On Sunday I was having second thoughts about it all. I was wondering if I should go through with it - could I manage staying as I am now (knowing it will deteriorate as I get older). However, yesterday was a bad day pain-wise and I struggled at work. So although I'm terrified about the op and the painful healing process - I now want it done as soon as possible - then I can start to recuperate, doing all the things I should to help get a successful outcome (of less pain, less medication, MORE LIFE!!!). BRING IT ON!!!

I'll let you all know how I get on.
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • Hoping your surgery goes well tomorrow. When you've had a really bad day like you did yesterday, then there's no doubt that you can't go on that way.

I had surgery 9 months ago and I'm really happy that I've got 80% - 90% pain reduction and can walk anywhere now. Recovery was boring and tiresome, but I kept looking forward and got a good result.

When you can, let us know how you're going.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Best wishes for surgery today. I really hope they have a bed available for you and things go well with your recovery. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • make sure that you have packed things to make you feel human again ! lip balm/a small fan /mp3 player etc.also drink plenty of water after the operation it will help you feel better .i will be sending you positive vibes today .good luck sue .try not to worry .
    tony xx
  • and it's very GOOD NEWS!
    i have just rang her at home {20/7/10}and she is doing very well.. hardly any pain and only taking paracetamol! ..its been less than a week and she is back at home and with no leg pain .well done sue..you have had a good result ..just rest now and follow doctor's instructions to the letter .i am very happy for you and i wish you a speedy recovery
  • Thanks to you all for the comments on this forum and in the "Back and Neck Surgery" section.

Just a bit more info. Today is exactly one week after surgery and I didn't have to take any Paracetamol, YAY!!! Don't get me wrong, it is very sore, especially when sitting for too long (about 10-15 minutes at present), but laying down seems to help.

I'm doing everything my doctors say, which basically is "do anything you want, but don't bend, lift or twist", but otherwise, if it feels OK, then do it. When I first saw 'BLT' written on someone's post, I immediately thought of Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato, which is a well-known sandwich here in the UK. I did giggle - I've been telling my family I can't do BLT anymore and watch their confused faces when they answer that they didn't think having a sandwich could be bad for my recovery! Ha ha!

I will keep posting as I go along - but wanted to say a huge THANKS to everyone on Spine Health. It's been a blessing being part of this forum and when Tony (Straker) asked me yesterday if I'm now going to leave the forum - NO WAY. Obviously I hope to be fully fit etc. in the weeks to come, but if not, then I'll still need support and perhaps, may be able to support others going through/or contemplating the same surgery.

I'm probably going to say this all wrong, and it is just my opinion, but wherever you are, there is hope - you've just got to believe that when you meet a surgeon who offers you options, if what you have felt for months/years and are feeling now and the prognosis is likely to get worse as you get older, then you have to make the decision based on the knowledge you have, your own personal fitness levels, your age, the confidence/reassurance of your surgeon, the support of family/friends and ultimately whether you can live as you are right now, and, if you can then you can always take extra time before making that big decision or decline altogether. I'm not an expert of course, I've only come to this conclusion after 5 years and my own personal experience. I've been on all sorts of pain meds for 5 years, had 7 facet joint injections, epidurals, radio frequency ablations, Physiotherapy, losing 5 and a half stones in weight, buying expensive MBT shoes - I've tried everything! Now, after only one week, I am not taking any meds at all and when I sit down (from day one of the surgery) the usual back pain from my discs has gone! All I know is that my surgeons (there were two of them) were highly skilled, and me and my family cannot stop singing their praises right now. The rest is up to me I guess.

Well, I'm off now, I've sat too long.

Good night and G-d bless
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!

• I am so pleased for you that you are doing soooo well after your surgery. :D
    Yours is the kind of story that we spineys like to read about. (I had a good story too! :-))

I bet you wish that you had surgery earlier!
    As for me, I would still try all conservative ways first to try to avoid surgery, but probably would have had it earlier, if I'd realised how much better I would feel. I wouldn't have been so scared either. :S