Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How many of you under age 50 won SSD??

tarheelgirlttarheelgirl Posts: 473
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Health Insurance Issues
I'm just curious. I'm 37 and was told by my attornies that my age was the worst thing I have going for me trying to get a favorable decision. They said I probalby would have been approved the first go round if I was 50 or older. This really worries me.

Also, one more thing (I think)...I was also told the most cases are won at the hearing level. Does this seem to be the case?

Oh, (sorry) but, I wrote my congressman/woman and got letters back which may have helped to get my hearing date set. Now that I have it set for Sept 1, should I call my congress people back and request any other help? Is there anything to do as I'm waiting for my hearing that will help my case?? I do have a cane that I use sparingly (esp not around the kids)...but my doctor suggested it...I saw another post where I should check to make sure my doc documeted that? And handicapped parking?

• I know a few that got ssd in their 30s> But it took them a couple of time to get it. Just be sure you have a lawer that does ssd trials. Also have all you Dr and med records up to date You all need to see a Dr every 6 month or sooner. As much for a cane that wont that wont help. They go by med and DR records only.

• well, I'll use my cane if I need it that day...like I said I don't use it often as I usually hold onto my hubby or walk around the house grabbing furniture and such to be steady,.. I really try to minimize my problems in front of people and especally my kids. I don't want them to know how bad it is.

I do have an attorney., I am using Binder and Binder. They have been on top of it for me., I see my doctor about every month and talk to him on the phone also about once per month or more, depending on the situation at the time. If I could get my doctor to come to the hearing, would the judge let him have a say in anything, or will it just be me and the judge and my attorney? Can my husband go in, b/c he has to drve me anyway? Questions, questions...I'm sorry to bombard you all. Just skittish.

Have a blessed night.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    It is true that the older you are, the more likely you are to get approved and approved quickly. Under age 40 SS really looks at is there any other job out there that you can do. Your attorney will, in the hearing, point out your overall functional limitations and your vocational (job) limitations. Sometimes they have a vocational expert at the hearing who may be called upon by the judge to indicate what jobs you may be able to do and often your attorney is the one to counter those with facts and information.

Your husband can accompany you but likely will not be seated near you if in the room. He will be an observer in the rear of the room if he is allowed in. Your husband likely will not be brought into the proceedings as he can provide no professional opinion. You have designated an attorney and he is the sole person given the ability to speak on your behalf. However, every judge is different, you never know what they'll say or ask.

As for winning at the hearing level.....it is more likely than being approved at any earlier period in the process. The more you appeal and the more information you have in your corner then the more likely you are to get approved.

You can bring your cane but don't make any effort to show yourself as worse off or better off than you are. If you would normally use your cane in your daily outings then by all means have it by your side and use it. The judge may ask about it and you can honestly say that when out of the house you depend on the cane or another person to help you move about.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I was 48 when I was approved & then I had the 5 month waiting period so I was 49 when I began
    receiving benefits

Good luck to you, I know you are extremely nervous,
    try to keep your mind busy with something else & I know that is easy to say & hard to do, hope the time passes quickly for you - susie
  • Hi,
    I recieved SSDI at age 37, but it was retro back to that age. I was actually 39, when I recieved SSDI, and my case won't be reviewed for 7 years. I applied in Oct 08, and recieved SSDI in Feb 09. To ask me a lot of questions about needing this Dr. report, an attorney, and such is no good. I was one of the easy cases, and no I have no special condition, just a fail back surgery, and I saw very few Dr. Had no Dr saying that I needed to be on disability, or did they know that I was applying.

I actully put very little work into getting SSDI. All I can say is that I got lucky. It was that easy for me. I will say that you must have a good case, because I called your attonery. They would not help me. My case wasn't strong enough for them to be able to win SSDI for me. After talking with a few attorneys, I decided I have better off doing it alone. I had to do all the leg work, so why pay someone. LOL. If I would of gone to the appeals process, then I would of looked more carefully at getting an attorney.

It's in your best interest for your case, that you represent yourself the way you represented yourself on the SSDI papers. If you said you use a cane once in awhile, then do that. If you said I can't wear restrictive clothing around your waist, and live in sweats. It's best that you show up to court that way. Whatever you put on that paper about yourself, and about your disability. That is the best way to represent yourself.
    Bobbi Jo