Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Heading back to my parent's house

staceysstacey Posts: 99
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
:( :( I'm heading back to my parent's house tonight. I have an appt with my NS tomorrow at 10:15. Had an appt with the PM tom, but that got cancelled. That's OK, not too excited about getting back in a car.

While I was so excited about coming home last Friday, I've been feeling so terrible since then :( I really can't be certain if it's the car ride that I mentioned earlier or if it's just regular post op pains. I have a terrible pain running along the length of my incision (about 7 inches) downward, and across from the incision outward to my hip on the right side only. Really strange pain. It completely subsides when I lie down and is horrific when I attemp to walk. If I can try to describe it accurately- it is excruciating when my leg is brought backward in the attempt to take a foreward step and also the whole time my right leg is being brough forward. Sorry for the long description, just want to know if anybody can relate..?..I was walking A LOT more at their house than I am at my house as they have a long, long cement driveway and I don't. I've been walking throughout my house, but it's just not the same. I don't think this has anything to do with the pain because it started just as soon as I got out of the car, getting back from their house. Again, just 1.1 miles away :(

I can't determine if it's muscle pain, bone pain, or a combination of both. When I press on the area with my hand it causes no pain from the outside. I can, though, feel it somewhat where the brace comes into direct contact with it. Any ideas?

Xrays will be done tomorrow. Just hope everything is still where it's supposed to be!

• that I have no advice as to what it might be. :S

I hope that it doesn't last much longer.
    Good thing you will be seeing your NS tomorrow. Hope that appointment goes well. Perhaps try lying down and icing.

Do let us know how the appointment goes.
    Keep healing :-)
  • Hang in there! You are still so early in your recovery.

I'm not a doctor, so I can only give you my experiences. I had a horrible pain very similiar to what you describe and my surgeon felt it was nerve pain.

One of the things that helped was for me to shorten my stride.

Are you on any meds for nerve pain?

Did anyone show you how to get into and out of the car? You want to go in from the side, bum first rather than stepping in. To help slide in and out, you can sit on a plastic bag that makes sliding on the seat easier.

I hope this is helpful, but as always be sure to talk to you doc and let us know how you are doing!

Hope you have a good night with your family!
  • Thanks...I am on 300 mg of Topamax a day. I did get into the car the way you described, but didn't use the trashbag, but I certainly will tomorrow! I only rode for that short period of time/length, but that pain had started very mildly right before I got into the car. My mom's car is higher than my husband's so that may help some also.

I'm still optimistic as the neuropathic pain in my legs is still gone since coming out of surgery (*knock on wood*) :)

The pain meds take the edge off, but nowhere near take it away, that's why I'm thinking it's either muscular or maybe nerve. It's just a strange, unfamiliar pain...?...

We shall see tomorrow. As long as I don't have a screw lose, literally and figuratively, I should be fine :)

• Stacey, you might have something about the height of the car.
    I was told to travel home from hospital in the highest car I could. My husband's is very low, so he used mine. Since then I have found that his is very uncomfortable for me. You don't want your knees to be higher than your hips while you are sitting in the car.

Hope your journey is comfortable this time. :-)
  • I also had a PLIF (L2-L4, 2003) and from my experience it was a LONG time for all of the pain at the incision area to go away.

More recently I had an ALIF and was given the OK to drive after 10 days. The driving part wasn't too terrible, but the getting in and out of the van was killer. I could only do one, maybe two errands because of such pain going in and out. Now at 8 months out I still don't do multiple errands like I used to, it just wears me out. I also find that being in a car for more than 30 minutes my back and legs hurt.

Give yourself time, I know its hard, but it is a long recovery. Take advantage of the fact that you can stay with your parents and they are so close to your hubby and kids.

Good luck,