Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Scoliosis & Kyphosis

RondaRRonda Posts: 11
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Scoliosis
We have an appt. at the Shriners Hospital Wed. to reevaluate for possible scoliosis surgery and to discuss back surgery for her spondylolisthesis. I've researched and not found any answers to my question. My daughters MRI results came back and showed that she also has Kyphosis along with a double curve scoliosis. Is it common to have both Kyphosis and Scoliosis or is this just another added concern?

• Hi Ronda, I hope you were able to find out the information you were looking for. We had taken our 18 year old to a chiropractor yesterday due to some sciatic pain and were shocked when they showed us the xrays. She has a Grade 2.5 spondylothesis and also scoliosis. We are trying to find a good spine ortho to take her to. Hopefully we can find out some good info. Thanks, backpain3
  • :H Hi, Rhonda! I have severe scoliosis, but not kyphosis. (I was diagnosed at the age of 8.) I am so sorry you all are going through all of this. I didn't know you could get both, but of course I have never really done any research either. I hope you find the answers that you seek, and correct ones. I have had 3 back surgeries, and just recently went to a new spine surgeon yesterday. I have to start physical therapy, probably on Monday, to see if it will help with the pain. Best wishes.

Scoliosis for 30 years; Thoracic curve measures 50, Lumbar curve measures 38; DDD L1/L2, L2/L3
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    This is not to be construde as advice or opinion. Just clarification of some medical terms. The spine has three normal "curves"

1. Lordosis (inward curvature) Cervical Spine
    2. Kyphosis (outward curvature) Thoracic Spine
    3. and again Lordosis (Inward curvature) Lumbar spine

Scoliosis is a laterial (side ways curvature)

So I guess what I'm trying to clarify is that; in the proper area... Kyphosis, In the correct area, and not hyper kyphotic is maybe within the normal limits ... maybe one less term to worry about ... i hope.

Keep us posted!

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• yes, I had a 2 curves & I had the other also. My curves were reduced & I never fail to be amazed when
    trying on clothes in front of a 3 way mirror at a store, how flat my back is - really, the surgeons
    can do amazing things, it's scary - I was 49 when
    I had my surgery 18 months ago - the cosmetic
    issues - so much better - good luck to you guys,
    it's overwhelming I know - Susie
  • We go for our second opinion with a different Dr. next week. She is starting to experience numbness in her left leg while sitting. Have any of you experienced this?
This discussion has been closed.