Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

stress and anxiety

driftwoodddriftwood Posts: 81
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello everyone, again.

Today I went to another doctor for a consult and he basically diagnosed me with anxiety and depression and thinks the main reason for me not getting better and for the myofacial pain is caused by what he thinks its chronic anxiety.

SO he seems to think that Valium 3 times a day as well as cymbalta is going to do the trick.

I HATE MEDICATION. My mom was hooked on Valium for years and that destroyed our family.

I live a very stressed and I know I have this anxiety and just deal with it. My daily routine which inlcuded tons of exercise really helped me and not that I cannot do the normal every day things its causing me even more stress and anxiety.

Maybe its time I started smoking some weed. I just cant see myself doing cymbalta and Lorezapam. It took my a month just to accept taking valium for 10days.

Do you folks think this diagnosis makes sense?

• Sorry you have having so many issues and are down. Have you considered getting a second opinion? I am not a doctor so this is just my personal opinion but I would be concerned with taking Valium 3times per day. There are a lot of medications that deal with depression and anxiety. Maybe it would work best for you maybe not like I said I am not a doctor.

I don't know if you were joking about THC but I recently started using it for medicinal use and I really find it helpful. I do it at night to help me sleep and it works. I figure it is better to have one less medication in my life. I would have needed sleeping pills in addition to all the other meds I am taking.

I wish you the best...
  • the doc at the ER gave me valium for a 10day cycle to help me sleep.

I later chacked in with a GP who said it was all stress related and wants to put me on Cymbalta and Lorazapam.

HE doesnt think the PT will help in this case because of the stress and anxiety.
  • Sorry you're feeling anxiety. I hope the Valium helps you relax to get some sleep for 10 ten days. If you're not comfortable with Valium hopefully the Cymbalta helps. I take Cymbalta and feel better taking it. It helps with my nerve pain and a little depression. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I think before self medicating it is important that you inquire about the advice of a medical professional.
  • It can be difficult to know when to take these drugs and when to avoid them.
    Is the doctor taking the easy way out, or is he doing exactly the right thing for you at this time?
    While there is a lot of over prescription of drugs around, particularly anti-depressants, it doesn't mean that you shouldn't try Valium in the short term.
    You may need it to give yourself a bit of breathing space and some rest, before moving on to a long term treatment.
    Did your doctor have any further plans?
    The obvious thing is to get you onto a learning path to reduce your anxiety levels; to find out what triggers your anxiety, and what you can do to stop it getting out of hand.
    You can't think or plan this sort of thing while you are in a very anxious state, so the Valium may be the way to get back on an even keel and then do some careful thinking, with your doctor, to work out how to cope without Valium or other such drugs.
    Then again, you may need them long-time.
    You will have to take small steps and see how it goes.
  • I was prescribe Valium by the lady at the Urgent care and I really trust her. basically she said I was stuck in a cycle and that I needed to break out of it.

I week did wonders for me. It was only 7 days actually, I have a couple left.

SO I have been looking for a couple different docs and all three that I saw want to put me on cymbalta. UGH.

The last one made most sense and she said basically its an issue of your ligaments healing as well and that takes time. She thinks another 3months to allow the ligaments to heal.

Apparantly my health anxiety and stress etc is not help (the cycle.) I know for sure that stress triggers it too, experienced that first had the other day. I just dont get why I have to go and get so extreme with mind altering meds. I have not acutally tried muscle relaxors.

She also said I can do it without meds if I wanted, tis a matter of time.