Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bad day

newhouse17nnewhouse17 Posts: 133
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Chronic Pain
Hello everyone,

We had my sons 16th birthday party on Saturday so you know that I over did it. I spent all Sunday and part of Monday in bed.On top of that it started to rain around 6:00pm and didnt stop until 4:00am this morning.I spent most of the night sitting on the side of the bed rocking back and forth attached to my tens unit. I prayed,walked around, took a hot shower and used the heating pad. I finally fell asleep around 4:30 am.Last night was the first night that I wanted to take more pain meds then prescribed(I didn't).I am better today but having difficulty getting around, very stiff.

My body just cant do these things anymore but I just get so tired of sitting and laying down. I feel so guilty because all I want to do is lay down in my bed. Its the only place that I am remotely comfortable, but its hard when you have 5 kids who dont fully understand your pain.While I was walking around the house I looked at the whiteboard calendar on the kitchen wall thats filled with upcoming events and I just started crying!!!! These are things you just cant miss so August is going to be a bad month for me.

Do we sit on the sidelines and watch or do we participate and deal with the consiquences later?I like to know how others deal with this issue.Thanks for letting me vent.

• Hi Newhouse,

Sorry you had a rough few days. I think we've all done it many times. Its a really hard balancing act to not overdo, but also partake in life.

Sometimes I overdo, then pay for it later. Especially when it involves something for the kids.

Other times I bow out of something and feel guilty. I'm starting to get better (so I hope!) at balancing and finding some middle ground. My kids love miniature golf, but I can't play, so I watch instead and that makes them happy. Riding a bike was too uncomfortable, so I bought a non-stationary recumbent bike and now I can ride with them (it even has cool flames! lol).

I know what you mean about looking at the calendar and crying, but we spineys need to take one day at a time, sometimes one hour at a time if its a bad day.

Come here to vent anytime, thats what we are here for. It can be so helpful to just know you are not alone. I hope you are feeling better and wish you well on the balancing act that we need to do.

• To decide on what activities you can and can't do.

If you're like many of us you will get tired of not doing things and overdo. Then you just have to pay the bill. No escaping it.

With 5 kids, depending on their ages you are going to have to work out what you can and can't do. I missed more than one event during the 3 years between the accident and healing from the SCS. I actually missed many events.

Remember you can't be available to do most anything if you hurt so bad you can't get out of bed. Like it or not, to be available for some things you may need to miss others. I hope your kids are old enough you can get them to understand this.
This discussion has been closed.