Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Injuries while a chronic pain patient

happyHBmomhhappyHBmom Posts: 2,070
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Chronic Pain
So Sunday morning I broke my foot. It's been kind of a surreal experience. Not the least because this year has been just a tsunami of health problems, and I just thought I'd been working them out when, snap, I walked down the stairs, stepped wrong, and broke my foot.

But anyway, other than a terrible limp, and the fact that it hurts in a way you know instinctively it shouldn't hurt (vs. the hurt you train yourself every day to ignore, because it's not a sign of injury), it does not hurt worse than my sub-peak back pain.

That's right, my friends. On at least several occasions a week, I hurt as badly as a person who breaks their foot. It's a kind of a bizarre feeling. Most people who break bones are in pretty bad pain, aren't they? I hurt worse than that all the time. In fact, right now, my back hurts worse than my foot, by a good margin.

Has anyone else ever injured themselves and had this kind of philosophical musing? My GP was wondering yesterday whether she needed to offer me "extra" painkillers, but I said "well, wouldn't most people with a broken foot be pretty uncomfortable right now? I think I'm OK." And she kind of nodded. I didn't add... "but my back still hurts..."

• At your signature line, I can guess two things real quick.

One: it probably does not hurt worse than your back!

Two: your nerve/spinal problems may be doing a poor job of transmitting the foot pain. Kind of like an SCS, the back pain is between the brain and foot so it takes precedence.

I sure am sorry to hear you broke your foot. Hope things get better for you, sounds like you are due for a, hmmm, I was going to say break, but that is already what you have! :?
  • Funny Wrambler.

Sorry Happy I really don't mean to laugh at your expense.

Last night I said as much to my husband. "When am I going to catch a break?"

Then I get up and read your post Happy. Ummm, Can I take that comment back?

So sorry to hear about your break. I do understand about the pain though. In Feb. I had a Lap. surgery unrelated to my back surgeries. They sent me home with nothing additional for pain other than my usual pain meds. One would think, "Oh my." and at first I thought this is going to be a nightmare.

Turns out it really wasn't. I hurt really I did, but still I just complained about the back and leg pain.

Hopefully the foot heals well for you!
  • When I had my rhizotomies, my pain doctor said "I've had big macho guys squirming with pain during these procedures. You must have quite a pain tolerance."

Please, everyone, laugh at my expense. If something I do brings humor to your life, that will make me happy. With me, at me, it's all good. I find the whole "manages to ride a horse but can't get down the stairs" rather humorous myself.

I have been having philosophical thoughts about pain and medications. I'm going to start a new thread down in medications. Not like I have anywhere to be, me and my broken foot (in good news, it's just a velcro boot and 6 weeks away from normal).
  • I just had shoulder surgery last week. A big bone spur right where the ball enters the socket of the shoulder, causing impingement, grinding and popping. To tell you the truth? It really doesn't hurt all that much. I had rotator cuff surgery on the other shoulder probably five years before I had the back surgery. I remember that hurt terribly. As I told my doctor -- after going through a three-level spinal fusion, I can't imagine this is going to hurt much. Turns out I was right.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I broke my toe once and it was nothing compared to my back pain.
  • When I broke my foot it didn't show on X-ray really well so doc sent me for a bone scan. I walked in and sat down. Got the IV shot of radioactive material and waited. When I was finally having my scan the nurse said and I quote "OMG how are you walking? This is a horrible break." Mind you she wasn't supposed to say anything about it being broken, the results were supposed to go the doc. Oh well took 8 weeks off work and another bone scan to double check healing, doc was worried it hadn't healed because the pain wasn't what they thought it should have been in the first place so he ordered the second scan. Not a big deal if you ask me, after the first initial day of pain I didn't even notice it.

Hope your foot heals soon and your back starts feeling better even sooner.
  • I have broken my foot and wrist. Honestly - I worked for hours after, and only went to get checked, as the day progressed and I realized that I must have hurt something really well.

With the foot - they just gave me a pressure sock, and told me to not run or walk on it for a week. In the end - I limped badly and had to learn to walk again, without the limp. Took me about 3 months to get the limp gone.

The back was what always overshadowed the other injuries. And still - the ER and Dr's never thought there was anything wrong with my back.
  • happyHBmom

I know what you mean, I had to go to the ER 2 months ago, because I started throwing up and couldn't stop, 2 days later, I got better. They couldn't figure it out. But I started getting sick again from it for weeks afterwards but not as bad. Took the doctors a month to figure it out, I had gallstones, 2 weeks ago, I had my gallbladder removed, and my back still hurts. ;)

This discussion has been closed.