Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

happyHBmomhhappyHBmom Posts: 2,070
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Health Insurance Issues
I started filling out the paperwork for SSDI online, and got ill and didn't finish it. Next thing you know I have a denial letter... huh?

They didn't even have the dates right, and denied me outright due to ineligibility based on that.

So now I need an attorney, I don't have my medical records together, etc. SIGH. I don't know why I bother, I am now convinced that I won't qualify. DOUBLE SIGH.

I am such a dope.

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    There are many attorneys that will help you out, be sure to get one that ONLY does disability law.

What likely happened is you hit a button that was "submit" instead of "save and finish later" (if they have these options).

The attorney I'm working with is doing all the medical record gathering so check for one that will take the whole thing on themselves. I just had to sign some forms, give some information on what disables me and they'll go after all relevant records.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Good idea! He wants me to do all that, I don't want to!
  • I used Binder and Binder. They have been really good and they do every thing for me. It's worth their fee if I win the case. Blessings to you.
  • Tarheel, I'm not nearly as bad off as you. If you don't win, I'll personally go slap someone at Social Security silly.

My only "ace in the hole," as it were, is that mine is an injury rather than DDD, and looks really good on film. The downside is that I'm very stoic and hide my pain. Even so, hubby and I sat and tried to figure out what type of job I could do with my capabilities and couldn't come up with one. With not being able to sit or stand for more than half an hour at a time, your choices are limited!

So add not being able to drive, what on earth are you supposed to be able to do?

Personally, I'd happily go back to work. I just can't.
  • I initially started my application online and just like you... I received a denial letter right away.

I called my local Social Security office and explained that I wasn't finished with filling out my application online and they were kind enough to set up a phone call with me to complete the application and told me to disregard the denial letter. (I guess this happens quite frequently).

The ladies I dealt with were super nice and very helpful. Like you... I cannot sit, stand or walk for long periods of time and all of our correspondence was via phone, through the mail and faxes.

I applied November of 2009 and received a denial letter in April 2010. I am 100% disabled, continue to receive my LTD through my employer and I hired an attorney who was recommended to me from my Psychiatrist. The attorney filed the appeal and will now take care of all of the paperwork going forward.

I had to laugh when I got the denial letter, as there is no way possible I could even think of working right now. As much as I hate being disabled at age 43, that's just the way it is right now. I can barely make it through some of my PT sessions and have to lay down for quite a while before I can get back in the vehicle for the ride home. The denial letter made me think that a bunch of Smurfs work at SS...lol! I am a busted up mess and each month something "new" is discovered and it's not like a hangnail... lol!

My doctors, my lawyer and PT therapists all told me it's VERY common to be denied the first time around... even after your first appeal with an attorney on board. I seriously think our age plays a little bit of a factor, too.

Karin (SpineAZ) is a wonderful resource on all of this stuff, as she worked in this field for many years. She's in the process of filing for SSD, too.

Hang in there... you've got several of us in the process with you.

• My feeling is that age is an automatic first round denial. Seems like anyone under 50. I guess it just means you have to be patient. If the proof is there you should win in the long run. Just another pebble in the road of life.
  • My prognosis is rated either "poor" or "fair" on all paperwork from every doctor, Neurosurgeon, Orthopedic Surgeon, PT evaluations, PM doctor notes, etc.

I am very determined to get myself above a "fair" prognosis and I know there are comments to this affect in my paperwork. The truth is... no matter how determined I am, my body just isn't ready to progress yet and many parts of me are still "coming alive". My nerve pain is unreal right now and I had to be fitted for another TLSO brace to wear during PT and anytime I plan on sitting/standing/walking for longer than 15 minutes at a time. My feet and my toes all turn purple when I sit still longer than 7 minutes, so we're trying to address a lot of problems going on from my waist down. With the brace on, it supports my thoracic area and helps to control the hard spasms. Concentration can then be turned to my hips, IT band, scar tissue, circulation, etc.

Being age 43, gives us plenty of time to try and improve our condition to where we can *maybe* return to work someday. Who knows what the future holds... all I know for now is that I have not been in any condition to work, be a fully functioning mother and wife... since my fall in November of 2008.

There will be better days ahead and this SS thing is just another hurdle we need to jump through.

• Well, Tammy, your injury also is worse than mine. I should call them, I guess! Funny I didn't even think of that. LOL!
    Seems like HappyHBmom has a good attorney. I didn't get to do too much research (limited wifi where we have our RV) but they seem to be very proactive!!!!!

I was assigned to a social security law group out East and was going to use a local well known firm, but their customer service was horrendous.....and the firm in Boston is really nice, responsive, etc.

Now I have to find an attorney for my individual LTD. I have a separate policy from work that I bought and it excludes my low back, but my neck is prominent in terms of disabling conditions so I expect to be denied for that. I've found two possible firms, one local and one out East and I'm seeing if I should work with them now or after I get denied (if I do, maybe I'm too pessimistic)
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Tammy, you are a genius, and AZ add this to your info. Indeed they re-opened my case. I think it's going to be difficult because of my spotty work history (I just worked here and there because of my kids). But if I am denied because of that, c'est la vie.

AZ, add this to your large knowledge base- if you get denied for lack of activity, they'll re-open your case if you call them and ask :) I do think this will go into appeals.
    All you need for SSDI is sufficient earned credits. You may be asked to explain the different jobs but as long as you were earning SSDI credits and have enough, that's one hurdle.
  • My credits run out in Dec 2007 :( I went back to school when my son was born and just worked here and there at jobs that were interesting and would help me get into graduate programs. Oh well, we'll see how it goes. We actually don't need the benefits, it is more an issue of my independence. I will be disappointed if I don't qualify, but we will be fine.

I also found out that if I get benefits, my kids do too. I had no idea.