Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Good news!

PeggyMPPeggyM Posts: 129
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Took my son to his post op appointment today. They xrayed him and took out his staples.

The PA said that his back looks great and that they are going to wait and see how he does and hope that they won't have to do the 2nd surgery!If he has no more pain they won't do it!

The xrays are amazing. He has a newly designed cage (with BMP)between the vertebrae that has 2 quite long screws that go up into the L5 and then the plate (quite large) has 2 screws that go into the S1. The PA said she could see some shadowing and so thinks he is starting to fuse...is that possible so quickly?

What a relief for him. Now he can relax and heal. I can't believe how good his incisions look after 2 weeks. The body is truely an amazing thing!!

After that we went to his PM doc. Such a nice man. Took us all (son, me & boys)into a small office with sofas and just casually talked about J's surgery and was genuinely pleased for him. He is keeping him on his same meds but gave him a lower dose so if he feels he doesn't need as much then he can take them (breakthru meds)instead. He will be trying to wean him off them over the next six months. I wish all chronic pain patients had a PM like him.

I feel we are truley blessed!

P x

• That's great your son is doing so well after surgery. I guess it's really to early to tell if he'll need another surgery but hopefully he'll recover well. Good to hear such positive news. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks for sharing such great news! I guess being young and having surgery is all it's cracked up to be! Meaning of course, his healing quickly! :) Positive thoughts for continued progress.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thank you for sharing that with us. It gives me a little ray of ☼ this morning! I am really happy to hear that everything looks well for your son and also happy to hear a good report on a PM! If your son feels anything like I do, he is immensely grateful for having you, his mom, by his side through this process. And to have his children there too...wow! What a blessing mothers are. I hope to always be the mother to my children that my mother has been to me (and my daddy too, can't leave him out :) ).

I hope you guys have an awewome weekend and continued success with the recovery!
  • It is such a relief to me too! I will be able to go back home in 2 weeks knowing he can cope ok. He has a really good friend who has stuck by him through all of this and he has offered to do the lawn mowing and any chores that Jason can't do himself.

Stacey, I have the best parents ever! They were there for me during every traumatic time in my life and are still here for me. My Mom is in a nursing home now and I still call her all the time just to yak(even though sometimes she thinks I am her sister who died many years ago!) and my Dad and I are really close too. Family is top of the list for me.

Hope you all have a great and pain free weekend! Oldest grandson's 9th Birthday Saturday. Growing up fast!

P x

• Hi Peggy,
    I am so pleased to hear how well Jason is doing in his recovery.
    I am sure that your brilliant care of him, and those delicious meals have played their part in his great healing.

Keep up the good work, both of you. :D

• Hope that you all have a special day tomorrow celebrating your grandson's 9th birthday. <:P
    Great that you will be there to share the day with him. :D
  • I have been hoping you would post with news as I think we have kind of gone through this together. He is so lucky to have you- don't you wonder how people manage who have no one there to help? And soon you will be back in your own home with your own routines and that will be great also.
  • Yes, I do wonder how some people manage to get thru this by themselves, or any kind of major surgery!

I've been watching your threads and am so pleased to see how well your husband is doing!

Yesterday we went shopping for grandson's b- day present. My son insisted he was going to do it. He didn't even need his pillow to cover his belly! Said the bumps in the road didn't hurt at all!

I must say I am getting anxious to get home. I really miss my husband. Thank goodness for Skype!

My son is really getting around well and it will be wonderful to know I can leave him and he will be ok. This week I plan on having a little clear out and next weekend we are having a yard sale. He has so much stuff that he needs to get rid of!

I just wish it wasn't so hot here. I'd like to see my son walking more like your husband.