Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

o boy EMG test tomorrow

john 40jjohn 40 Posts: 190
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
what to expect?
if the test shows nerve still alive that means surgery could help ? not sure what the results will really mean .the surg doc was kinda not clear or i was just to spaced out

• Guess you are a bit nervous if youre up at 5 am. It's not as bad as it sounds and it goes pretty quick. One of the pluses in this test is that you don't have to do anything. The results are measured by the machine. I'm so tired of being asked "how does that feel" lol

My understanding of that test is that the results are not always accurate since the doctor has to get to the nerve which isn't always easy. And you can get "good" results and still have pain.

For my test they were trying to show that the nerve was not working because of the herniated disk. They didn't find much loss of conductivity but the microD did help for those first two months so it didn't mean much.

Have fun today and remember to breath if you feel nervous. I tell myself that all the time and it helps alot.
  • i am usually up and down all day an night any way.this is just one more thing to think about
  • Did you have the test today? I was just chatting with my neurologist on Monday about nerve pain and how it is perceived. He was telling me that he uses the same diameter needle on everyone and that it is interesting how some patients almost fall asleep during the test, while others are screaming and crying and he cannot even finish the test, from time to time.

I hope you won't or didn't find it too bad.

I've always heard that the test is only as good as the person administering it and interpreting the results. Usually the EMG and nerve conduction study confirm what the doctor already suspects from examination, oral history and imaging studies.

I was told that if I still had some action in my foot, like I could go up on toes, the nerve was not completely damaged.

Please let us know how it goes and what they find out.
  • ya went in and did it , the doc was a total quack i think he zapped his head to many times or was on drugs .he made no since what he was talking about ,he would say one thing and the next would be total opposite .i may try to report him to some one i have never seen a doc that was so bad if i did not no better i would think he was on crack. any way the test was no big deal . he say show no permeate nerve damage to motor nerves maybe . he say he did not do test quite the way he could of to tell for sure.(what)that's right
    i could tell when he would zap me but when he stick the needle in i did not feel it in my leg its kinda numb i did feel in my back though was not any worse than the pain all ready there. he say no nerve damage .(good) i ask him about numb heal and caff he say prob nerve damage .i ask abouy leg going completely numb and zapping and burning pain he say prob scar tissue on nerve or disc material on nerve (? didn't he just say no nerve damage or impingement)i think i may have to redo test with someone who is not a quack and not upset that i am not on workman's comp