Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Gosh I am hoping he has done no damage to the fusion

beaverbbeaver Posts: 189
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Three weeks post lumbar fusion and hubby has been walking six kms a day and he has no pain. BUT he has been walking on country roads and he has been going up and down hills in this last week. The ground underneath is firm and fairly smooth but.....can he do damage going up hills. We live in the country and it is a twenty minute ride to town if he needs to mall walk.

• I doubt he is doing any damage to his fusion. If he has no pain and he's not pushing himself to much, he's probably fine. I'm impressed in how well he's doing. If you're really having doubts or unsure, give his surgeon or PA a quick call to find out what they think. They're in a much better position to determine what will or will not screw up his fusion, they've been inside his back.

• I would imagine that he would be in pain if he had over done it! I'm amazed at how well your husband is doing! If I were him I think I'd give the steep hills a miss.

He seems like a man with a mission!
  • Wow, impressive indeed.
    I don't think he's doing any damage either but I'm no doctor.

The key things are for him to keep his abs tight as he leans forward, etc. He's probably strenghtening his core quite nicely.

Please please make sure he's walking with a cell phone in case he does feel achy he can call you.

Ever since my back incident, I always have my cell phone.
  • Since your husband is not feeling pain after walking, I wouldn't worry about it. Some surgeons do not include "walking on a level surface" as part of their instructions. By the way, the same holds true for a treadmill. A spiney is usually told not to walk on an incline until healed. The reasoning for this is that you do not want to create a greater muscle imbalance. Walking on an incline causes some muscles to shorten and others to lengthen. This can pull on the vertebrae and discs, as they slant one way when going up hill, and slant the opposite way when going downhill. When early in recovery before one has fused, it is best to avoid this sort of unnecessary movement. But again, some surgeons do not seem to care....so, if in doubt, calls yours to get his final word!!

In many of us who have had lumbar problems for years, we already have enough problems with muscle imbalances...after surgery we are striving to get things back in balance, so the best exercise remains walking on a level surface. That way the muscles are working more in tandem and you don't have to worry about which are being stretched and which are being overly contracted.
  • I wouldn't do that. My NS was VERY VERY specific in that I was to walk on flat surfaces ONLY. No pavement, let alone pavement with hills. We lived out and since I couldn't drive, hubs had our sunday school class sign up on a sheet to take turns coming to "drive Cheri to town for her walking". lol And the kicker? We were new to this class and knew no one. It was a strange way to get to know these ladies as they drove out of town, picked me and my walker up, drove me in to town to the "indoor mall" which was a total joke, no open stores, just a bunch of retired folks walking.

So these new to me ladies would walk me a few laps, then take me home. But hey, I got out of the house and met some new folks!

Anyhoo....I would call the doc to make sure. My doc explained in detail just how inclines and declines could really mess up my fusion and he was STRICT. Told me if I didn't walk, don't whine later if I didn't recover well.

Please don't do any more pavement and inclines until you check with your doc. We won't always feel it. My doc was implying the overall fusion, which takes months, would be affected. Yikes!

Glad he's walking, though! (P.S. I walked at lunch with the ladies, but at night, hubs took me to the local Walmart, about the only other store in town.)

Take care,

• that's cool that they do that for you.
    so far that's the only good thing to come from this spinney adventure i have met some very nice and caring people so far that i would never have
  • I'll be interested to hear the surgeon's advice.

Everyone has pretty much advised well. Call the surgeon.

Mine pretty much explained what Second Self said, though not in as much detail. "Walk, Walk, Walk, but on smooth level surfaces only. If you use a treadmill do not use the incline function." Smooth to avoid falls and Level to avoid uphill and downhill walks.

I am pleased he is feeling well.

I suppose your husband is used to those hills-inclines and such so maybe his muscles are accustomed but would they still be pulling?
  • It is great news that your hubby has such awesome motivation and energy! :)

I too, was told by my surgeon to not walk hills or inclines. So will be interested to hear what his surgeon says.

As a side note, if your hubby takes his phone on his walks, be sure he has a pocket. On one of my walks, I dropped my phone! :( There was no one to pick it up and I couldn't bend...so, I had to kick it all the way home...:(

I can laugh now, but at the time, it wasn't funy!

Hope you are having a good weekend!
  • Jay,

Great advice,

I am picturing, in my mind's eye, you first staring at it for a few moments then kicking that poor cell phone all the way home ....and laughing.

Not at you, mind you. With you.

Ah, thanks! I really must have needed that giggle. Oh the things we do.
  • Must be your intuition working if you feel it's too much for him. I wonder what the Surgeon will say? Hope he continues to feel so good. I'm so happy for you that your husband is manging so well. TC. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hate when it is summer and everyone is on holidays and I suspect that is the reason for the delay. Hubby has been walking on fairly flat stretches but that gets old really fast.
    One thing we have noticed is that his blood pressure, which always has been on the low side, is now often low to the point he must be careful when he gets up as he becomes very dizzy. We are assuming that is because he is lying so much.
    But he still has no pain and the incision is healing very quickly on the outside at least. Hope that means the bone is also growing on the inside. It's the not knowing that irritates.LOL
  • Just a stab in the dark as I must remind you I am no physician.

Some meds do lower BP. (Not sure what meds if any he is on,) You might want to add this symptom to the list when the surgeon does call.
    I always ran low BP normally and after my fusion the meds made it even lower. They actually wanted me stay in the hospital an extra day because it was too low. I kept assuring them it was normal for me.
    (I am assuming you are sure it is his BP causing his dizzyness. It does sound like it.) Still it's worth mentioning to the doctor when he does call.

Thrilled he is in no pain and is healing so well. Keep up the good work and wonderful reporting!
  • When told that hubby was walking that many kilometers a day, he was pleased and said he could walk as long and anywhere he wished as long as he used common sense. Hmmmm- not sure that helps but I guess he will continue to do what he has been doing. He is also cleared to drive as he is on no pain meds. He is going to try for the coffee shop tomorrow morning as it is a very short drive and we will see. It will give him some variety in life anyway.
  • That's great news! I know when I was finally strong enough to walk up the corner market, it felt as if I had conquered the world. The freedom it represented, although insignificant to the normal person, was tremendous to me after being stuck in the house and hospital.

Thanks for the update.