Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck Heating Pad

lisa burekllisa burek Posts: 855
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi Fellow Neckies,

My neck issues are relatively new as compared to my lumbar problems. I need your help!!

I have been using those horseshoe shaped/microwave neck doohickies, but they aren't cutting it. I actually blew one up in the microwave trying to get it hot enough!! (I'm a menace to society, ha!!)

Do any of you use an electric heating pad made for the neck and shoulders? I looked on the web and there are so many types out there I'm at a loss.
Any recommendations?? Thanks for any help,

• Make your own heating pad out of an oversized sock and some brown rice. You can fill it with rice and sew the end shut. Then heat it in the microwave and it provides the most form fitting, moist heat of any heating pad you'll find. The rice will last a long time and is not "damaged" by repetitive heating.

• I'll give it a try. My main gripe with those horseshoes is that first they are a bit too hot, then just right, then too quickly cool off.

I want constant heat to help my neck problems, just like my lumbar heating pad, dial # 1,2,3 or 4 depending upon your need.

Thanks C, I'll give the rice sock a try,

• I use a combo of the microwave and the regular pad. I warm the microwave one and put that against my skin. THen I put the regular pad behind that on whatever setting I want.

I like the molding of the microwave pad and I find the regular pad keeps it hot.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,858
    hydro=pads that you heat up either in hot water or in the microwave with water.

Its basically the same type that is used at many physical therapy centers.

I used to use those rice filled pads. I stopped using those after a unfortunate situation. I went to bed, with a sweatshirt on and use one of those rice filled pads. I had it on my thoracic area, and then went to sleep. When I woke up, I told my wife, there was something hurting on my back. I had a 3rd degree burn which eventually needed surgery and plastic surgery to cover the hole.

So, since then I have been very careful regarding any heating pad that I use
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Oh Ron!! I also have had times where my skin has been a bit too fried from long term heating pad sessions.

I just ordered a neck/shoulder heating unit (electric) from Amazon. Hopefully it will help, and I still have 2 different microwavable heat pads to also use.

Thanks all for your help,

• where do you buy the hydro pads? I'm very interested in getting one.
  • Hi Lisa, I found a Sunbeam neck and shoulder heating pad at my grocery store pharmacy. I had trouble finding it elsewhere, because I looked to see who else carried it. Look on the web, its a sunbeam, goes up the back of your neck and lies on your shoulers. Its light green, it was a big help before I had acdf and after!
    mine from our Hospital pharmacy. They call them Microwave Heating Pads. They come in all different sizes and shapes. Mine are heavy material, with extra padding inside, so it has ridges.
    Some online places call them Thermophore Pads
  • I too am looking for a good heating pad for my neck and shoulder area.. I am having ACDF on August 3rd. I have tried the gel packs (ice), the rice packs (heat)... you name it and none seem to ease the pain??? Help!! Lela where did you find the one you are talking about? I live in Texas so we probably don't have the same drug stores but maybe I can google it! LOL...
    is only going to give you temporary relief while you are using it.
    I know when I have had some flareups, I would go the route of Ice (when it was appropriate) or Heat dozens of times a day.

That sort of helped build up a better comfort level. But by no means did it eliminate the pain.

If you can not find anything online or in stores, these simple household items work just as effectively:

Use a large bag of frozen corn or peas. Take it out of the freezer, place it on the area you want relief from. As it begins to melt, it conforms to your body.
    Then, you can just put it back in the freezer until the next time you need some relief, OR until you want to use it to eat!

Take a good size cloth towel, wet it, place it in the microwave for 4-10 minutes. Then wrap that up in another towel and place it on the area you want some relief.

I've used both of the above so many times. They really work as effectively as store bought items.
  • Jennifer,
    I found it at a Publix grocery store here in Florida. You might google it. I looked for it elsewhere, like walmart, walgreens etc and couldnt find it. You can spray a light mist of water on it to make it a moist pad. It was the onlky thing I could find that fit around my neck and upper shoulders. Like I said it is made by Sunbeam. Most stores carry that brand but not that style. I am out of town right now and cant see the box to tell you whats it called. PM me if you need to, hope that helps! Lela
  • Thanks for the info! I will definitley be googling it!! I am up for anything! I made a bad decision yesterday and reached up to help with a roll of paper towels and it felt like bees were stinging me all the way down my arm and right side... I won't do that again... Now it is just really sore today... I am so ready for surgery! Once again thanks!
  • you are welcome, hope you find it! Lela