Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Superficial leg pain

staceysstacey Posts: 99
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Good morning all. I just have a question to see if anyone else has experienced the same. I'll be 3 weeks post-op tomorrow PLIF.

Since yesterday I'm having very superficial pain in my legs. Only in the back, from the back of the knees on down, both legs. The very slightest touch is painful. There is no warmth, redness, bruising. No signs of phlebitis or thrombophlebitits. I don't have any varicose veins. I am having some edema of the ankles, but I was having that before surgery. Also some edema over the right tibia. The doctors had no explanation for the edema pre surgery.

I'm going to put a call in to NS tomorrow, I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this.

Thank you in advance and have a wonderful day :)

• Hi Stacey! I haven't experienced what you are describing, but I have read of others.

I just wanted to offer support! :) Hang in there! It sounds like you're on the road to recovery!

It truly is a roller coaster ride, little by little getting your life back. Occassionally the is a step backwards, but you will get there!

I am 4 1/2 months and this week I really felt a big difference! I feel like I really am getting back to where I want to be and it's been a long time since I felt this good! I even made homemade buttermilk pancakes this weekend!

Wishing you the very best!
  • As jayhawk stated, you will probably go through a number of little ups and downs as you heal -- new pains here and there that come and go. Try not to be alarmed and don't take stock at every little muscle twinge.

If you had any nerve pain in your leg/legs to begin with, it might be related to the recovery of the nerve.

Just remember that you have had a BIG surgery and you will feel various assortments of feelings as you recover. Try to maintain a positive attitude, keep walking and resting, and listening to your body.
  • Thank you for the responses. I'm not terribly concerned, more curious than anything.

I did have lots of nerve pain for a long time in both of my legs. This feeling is just odd (and painful). It's like a blanket of pain covering the whole back of both calves and backs of the knees. All of the toes of my right foot are now numb also.

I'm not an alarmist and won't panic or anything, just wanted to see if this followed any particular pattern and if anyone had experienced it.

Thank you much!! :)