Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello To Everyone !!

KaitiedidKKaitiedid Posts: 20
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in New Member Introductions
:H Hi I'm new to messaging but have been reading on this site for about 3 yrs. 3 yrs. ago I started having severve problems with my neck shooting pain into right arm ,numbness and tingling in left and right hand.I tried every conservative method you name it I tried it. I finally had surgery fusion on c5-6 of Oct.07.My problems didn't stop there. 1st the Doctor who preformed my surgery his entire practice with colleagues closed.I did my research no one would have seen that coming.Unfortunately he left me in a mess several doctors confirmed I had screws that had back out and a fusion that was not taking place. But none of these Doctors would do surgery at that time and we all know why Liability of another Doctor's mess up.Finally last year after two years of horrible pain and knowing things were not right. A new doctor came to my rescue and agreed to go in and fix things.It was indeed a mess more than Doctor knew until he got in there.The surgery was very rough on me and it took more time than normally to recover.The good news is last week they took more xrays and I'm finally fused!! <:P And all is well with my screws snug as a bug. I know your thinking awesome end of long story. I) Well unfortunately it does not end there over the last 3yrs I have had increasing back pain and leg pain.(I have always had back trouble since teenage yrs. but it came and went)I finally went last summer into the Doctor for my back I'm pretty sure they thought at 1st I'm nuts since I allready had neck issues. I have DD of the Lumbar L4-5 andL5-s1 along with annular tear 4-5,herniated disk L5s-1 along with a bunch of other stuff I won't bore you.Again tried all the concervative stuff but with each passing day things are getting worse numbness in foot(toes),shin,weakness right leg and pain and more pain.Had Diskogram it confirmed L4-5 and L5-s1.I met with my Doctor's colleague in Dallas Tx and I will be having what they call a Hybrid surgery.(Artifical Disk at 4-5 and Fusion 5-s1)I can't believe this is happening to me. I'm 39 yrs. old with 5 children (stay at home Mom since hubby works out of state.)I use to be so active running ,weight training,now I'm lucky if I can walk to the mail box and pick up a small jar on a good day!! I know it could be worse but this is my worse!! Not many people understand at all.Friends have no clue,family tries,Hubby well it hurts me to say they should be the one person who you know would understand and be there for you but that's just not the case!My children try but there kids I don't expect them to.I know it's alot for any one person to get but I know if the shoe was on the other foot I sure would try!Ok so SORRY for rambling on here. Glad to find this site we're everyone is in the same boat.Just spilling my guts helped so much !! Thanks Cheers.
Kaitiedid >:D<

• Welcome and hugz. Everything you describe has happened to people here. Not necessarily all to one person but definately in combinations.

I had similar neck and arm pains but my surgery was at T1-2. I had several complications from the surgery and after a pain free month it came back worse than ever. After 5 months I am beginning to understand that my surgeon and other surgeons don't want to touch me.

It's great to hear that your revision worked. That's excellent news. Unfortunately the lower back issues are not uncommon. Many people on here seem to develop problems in other areas. My lower back gets sore but I'm hoping it is from the reduced activity.

The family issues are common also. I'm sure you have read the many posts where many of us have complained about how our spouses and kids are affected and react. You really need to get your husband to go to a doctor visit with you. Maybe to some counceling as well if he will go. Remember your health problems are changing his life also.

I find posting helps me to vent and to ask questions. So jump in an tell us about your experiences and about how you feel.
  • Welcome! I am so sorry for all you are going through, but you have found the right place! Feel free to vent, that is what we are here for!

Are you a fellow Texan? I noticed you are going to Dallas for your lumbar surgery! Do you have a date set for your surgery?

You will need help and support as lumbar fusion seems to be much more difficult and of a longer duration than cervical fusion. How old are your children? They may be able to help and could feel great about doing so! :)

I understand about your hubby! It seems to be so hard for a man to see someone he cares about hurting and not be able to help. He also may have some guilt about not being home and able to help.

I wish I would have realized how hard it is on the spouse. My hubby has a hard time expressing himself and communicating when it comes to me. He, too, travels and gets very scared at the thought of something happening to me. I am the stability for our family!

Hang in there! We are here for you! Let us know how you are doing!
  • Thanks for the warm welcome and your thoughts.I'm from Georgia my Cervical Fusion Surgeon recently transfered from South Florida to Dallas,Tx.I would follow him across the world if I had to because when no other doctor would give me the time of day or help he did.He's my hero!!!Though he will not be doing my upcoming surgery because he felt I would be better in the hands of his colleague who specializes in ADR(matter of fact 1st doctor to preform ADR here in the states).Which makes me respect him even more because he has my best interest at heart.
    I have not set a date yet only because my husband job never has a set schedule.Which makes it hard to plan anything.I know being away ways heavy on him,I know I haven't been the easiest person to deal with,and I'm sure it's hard to watch me go thru everything it could definetly make a person withdraw.My children range in age from 18,16,14,11,10.So thank goodness they are not little.They help as much as possible but I try not to depend on them because they are children it wouldn't be fair. I feel guilty enough that this whole thing has effected there life in a big way.I use to be superwomen to them now there mom is superbroken.
    I see you had a fusion in February if you wouldn't mind I would like to hear all the details before and after.
    Thanks again for the Welcome!! Love your qoute I recently used a similar qoute for my status on Facebook.It has alot of meaning I'm sure to most of us here.Hope your doing well. >:D<
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you stopped by.. you will be needing help after your surgery and you have a whole family of helpers... don't be afraid to depend on them.. kids really like being helpers!! be sure and check out the "Back and Neck surgery" forum for more input on your surgery... good luck and stop by anytime! it can make recovery time go by much faster! Jenny :)