Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Has anyone had a hybrid Lumbar Surgery?(ADR-4-5,F5-s1)

KaitiedidKKaitiedid Posts: 20
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Just wondering if anyone has had or is considering a Hybrid Lumbar Surgery? I will have Artifical Disk replacement at 4-5 and Fusion at 5-S1.Still trying to do the research and find out as much information as possible.I have has a Fusion on C5-6 along with a Revision Surgery on the same area so I have a slight idea of how it works.I know the Lumbar area is alot more complicated.I would love as much info.as possible I'm kind of a detail person the more the better.Thank you. :)

Fusion C5-6 10/07 Revision C5-6 10/09
Countless alternative procedures Cervical and Lumbar,Physical Therapy,countless meds,Counseling for pain management,Future ADR L4-5 and Fusion L5-S1.

• Hi Katie, I have had Hybrid surgery 3 years ago where they cut my stomach instead of going thru the back..They did a fusion at L5/S1 and a total disc replacement at L4/5..The pain straight after surgery is a different pain to the chronic pain your suffering now and I was amazed at how much movement I had and the time in took to recover..

3 months ago I had to have L3/4 fused and they went thru my side and back...The pain and healing time is a lot longer than the first lot of surgery and Im still on painkillers today from this last surgery.

Good luck and keep me updated on your progress.
  • Hi Shelly: :H
    Thanks for sharing your story with me.If you wouldn't mind I had a couple of questions?At the time of your TDR and Fusion how did your L3-4 look?One of the reason I'm considering the disk replacement would be to try to keep my next level relatively healthy.(though it does have mild DD and mild dorsal facet hypertrophy)
    My next question would be how large of a incision did it take to do the surgery?(I know this shouldn't matter in the big picture of trying to feel better.But you know we're girls it matters!!)
    Next question how long we're you really down and out from the surgery?(I have 5 children and hubby who's work takes him out of state)Though currently I spend many hours down ,surgery forces you down or you mess up the work.Sorry this is so long winded. I) I hope this isn't to much.I have not found to many people so far who have been thru Hybrid surgery.
    Thank you hope your feeling better soon!!Hang in there. >:D<
  • I have the same questions now that you did. My doctor told me I could have either TDR or fusion, but I have been reading about hybrid surgery and I am very interested in that because I want to save L3/L4. I am wondering if you had your surgery and the results.
  • Can the posters please let us know how they are doing? One month ago I had a hybrid and the pain level is still high. Its frustrating because I cant find many hybrid patients to compare myself to.