Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Chronic Pain
Finally after awhile of waiting on the government to decide whether i was able to work while they are setting on the backsides and most of them i would say are pain free and can walk farther then 15 feet without there legs going numb and get severe pain I GOT MY DISABILITY although it was the hardest decision i have ever had to make by signing the papers and being a welder/iron-worker for over 25 years hanging from a crane basket building bridges all over the USA
it seems to take all the pride i had to come to the realization that i would never be able to work again!!!!
i hired a lawyer after the 1st application got denied and 1 year later, and after i hired my lawyer i had a response back from the government in only 5 weeks i was shocked to read that they declared me disabled and im getting 11months back pay.

• Took away you pride?????? Just because you can't work. So you will never go back to work. that what SSD is for. That doesn't mean your not a man.

• yea i know but i have been a very strong man and self reliant on just me not anyone else and it just sux that now i have to rely on someone else.
  • Ummmm not to get on your case too hard, but if you are collecting SSDI how are you depending on someone else? You worked for 25 years and earned every dollar you are going to make. I do know how you feel somewhat though. Ive worked for 38 years so far and have thought about disability. I have been the sole $$ maker in my household for all these years and still am. If i cant get a little help from my family with things then who do i turn to. I understand the PRIDE thing but its not like you are unemployeed and wont look for a job. Disability hits without warning and in most cases cant be helped.
  • Hi i agree to,you have worked hard all those years,we cant help what life deals us,you takecare,take it easy xx
  • I wish I could afford a disability retirement. I would have NO problem taking one! I am envious. Be thankful that it is an option you can use, instead of being forced to work even tho you feel like crap most of the time.
  • imo you are being to hard on yourself.
    i feel you deserve a handshake, you and no one here asked to be put in this position of being hurt and in pain.
    you paid into the system your whole working life, so its not the govt,s money you are getting to survive, it is your money that they were holding for you.

it's crossed my mind to apply also, but i'll probably wait til i'm at mmi, and see what happens then.
    at the risk of opening a can of worms, there are alot of people collecting, ssdi who have no business getting it.
    you and me and everyone here are no less the person we use to be, we are just hoping the system will take care of us, like we took care of the system, our whole working life.

take care and congrats.
  • I worked for 30 yrs and the day I had to leave my job due to my disability was very hard. My husband is disabled with a severe heart condition and so my job gave us the insurance we needed. Although I knew my condition would not allow me to return, I did try to go back which lasted all of 3 hours. But for some reason it is an acceptance issue. We have to admit to ourselves that we are disabled. I now have come to terms with the fact that I am disabled, I worked and paid into the system and the monies I am receiving I earned. But I was proud of my job, even though they treated me terrible and I was proud of the fact that I felt like I was taking care of my husband.
    You too will get to this point but I believe it takes time to accept our situations. Its difficult to this day to accept my limitations and that I am completely and permanently disabled. Our minds tell us one thing while our bodies let us know the truth.
    Good luck to you and I am glad you did receive your SSDI, it is so hard for some people. I was one of the fortunate ones who received mine 8 weeks exactly from the day I applied. I feel so bad for all those who have to fight to get what is rightfully theres. Then we have those who get it and don't deserve it.
    Good luck also to anyone who is going through the SSDI approval process.
  • Disability is no golden handshake. You worked hard for that, gave your strong body for that, and it will never be enough for you to live the type of life you would like to lead. You can't ever get a job to help make up the difference. It IS a little like selling your soul to the devil. However, when you really can't work, it's good that there is something to help out, even if you have to adjust your means to survive on what they'll give you.

All the best.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Wow! Can't add a lot as much was said so well before me! 30 Years law enforcement and pilot - physical, and yes, hard to give up! Like others here, getting to where you are truly disabled is NOTHING any of us sign on for - part of life. You are no less a man if you have to retire that way! Big support *HUG* to you Rob. Rob is still Rob... okay??

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • i hear what you are feeling my self .i have been in heavy construction for 26 years ,all ways worked over time ,double time ,weekends ,and holidays,travel to far away states ,anything to get the job done .life = job..the day of my injury at home i went to work for 18hr right from work to chiropractor back to work 14 hr back to chiropractor.for 3 weeks the longest 3 weeks of my life .then he would not touch me any more until i go to surgeon .2 weeks later doc say stop now or dont come back. 17 months later i have filed for ssdi to keep my health insurance (have to have approval for ssdi to get early retirement from job = insurance) i got my 1st denial couple weeks ago i started thinking ssdi say i can work i can man up and do it ,my wife was going to tie me down and then she told me to drive to town and get the mail ,when i got home i took some drugs and went to bed .ok i will go back to work someday. for now i have payed into ssdi a lot and its time to get some back. less of a man ? trying to deal with that. if i get approved wow old life over. but i no now i will never be able to do any of my old jobs when i get better some day maybe something less demanding .your situation take the money and dont look back you payed for it .start your new life and keep your pride you built it its part of you.you gave it your old life ,i have helped build many roads and subdivisions and i will miss building new ones but i am proud of what i have built and i no you are or you would not have stuck with it for so long. so keep your welding rod dry and hold your head up. i no we will find some baling wire and duct tape to fix it for now.
  • I was a nurse for 30 years and loved my last job before disability. I tried several different jobs that I thought would be easier on me to no avail. I even went to vocational rehab to try to be retrained in a different career. It was so hard to finally give in and accept the fact that I was not going to make a good employee. I had SSDI granted to me on the first try.

I empathize with you. It's a feeling of great loss. But, there are other ways to feel useful in this life. I volunteer for a couple of hours a week if I am up to it. Makes me feel like I can still contribute something.

Best wishes,

• hiya rob
    I'm glad you got it..for some takes alot longer..
    I can understand what your feeling for sure,but as all have said you did a very hard job and paid into it so its your money..
    I feel useless sometimes but like that Great person Mari said do some volunteerin in your area it does make a huge difference...
    I'm not able to go out and feed the homeless downtown as I would like but i can make some sandwiches or donate books anything helps...
    Pride is a hard thing to handle and may take sometime but you will be fine..
    Hard to embrace this new life when your in pain and struggle to make it thru the day but I find the things that I'm blessed for and you have all of us nice ppl to keep you up..and on track..
    so take your money and buy your wife some flowers
    she sounds like she's ready for you to be home.....
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • Aviatrix36440 said:
    Wow! Can't add a lot as much was said so well before me! 30 Years law enforcement and pilot - physical, and yes, hard to give up! Like others here, getting to where you are truly disabled is NOTHING any of us sign on for - part of life. You are no less a man if you have to retire that way! Big support *HUG* to you Rob. Rob is still Rob... okay??

yea im ok and thanks everyone for your nice words, but it seems to make me feel like im getting a handout, i know i will never be able to work again and it just a mental thing i recon. i know i have paid into the system and it is my monies so im grateful to be getting it it will just take time, i even have a hard time using a handicap parking spot although i have a handicap sticker to be allowed to.
  • Rob,

Glad to hear you are a bit better. *hug* As I was told on my application for disability retirement.. "You paid for the benefit, a benefit no one wants to have to use, but you paid for it." Same goes for social security Rob. We all pay into it, and hope it will be there when we need it. Need it...need it - be it SS retirement age or disability..need it. :)

Oh, and I am the same on the handicap parking. Since my hubby and I mostly shop together, he drops me in front of the store, and he picks me up there as well, so I haven't used mine yet either!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • once again i agree with everyone hear.
    if it comes to the time where i will have to go the ssdi route, i definitely will with no regrets.

i also worked long hours every week, 55 to 60 hours a week truckdriver. i had a family to take care of and it was my responsibility.

if someone has to go the ssdi route, or if you make it to regular retirement age, either way if your eligable for it, take it.
    i know of a lot of people and some were close friends who were afraid to take it, and they passed away before ever using it.

be proud of the fact that you paid into it all these years, so you earned it, it is NOT a handout. its money you earned.

take care.

• That the saddest part is that most of you loved your work and when you can't do it any longer you lose a part of yourself.

Please, please try to find something new that excites you. There are so many wonderful things in life to do. Take this time to find yourself again. I know it is difficult when you hurt but now is the time to think about YOU.

Gentle hugs to you Iron Man!

P x
This discussion has been closed.