Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need your advice

dannymiller69ddannymiller69 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello everyone, i come here looking for answers. I'm a 19 year old male that has had low and mid back pain for over a year. I first went to see my pcp and he ordered xrays,gave me a small amount of pain killers(vicodin, which helped), and referred me to a orthopedic doctor. The ortho prescribed me a muscle relaxant(flexeril, which helped with sleep) and sent me to physical therapy. I work in a pt clinic and had been doing pt, nevertheless i went into formal pt 3 times a week for 2 months with little to no improvement. Went back to my ortho, he ordered an mri, everything turned out to be normal. He said there is nothing more he can do for me. On the average day i rate my pain at a consistent 6-7. Some days the pain is just terrible. I use a tens device at night which does help a little. I take 600-800mg ibu every 6-8 hours, do my pt exercises, and get spinal manipulation 3 times a week. I Have pain all the way down my right leg and pain in my spine from the shoulders down. It is worst while standing but sitting or laying only provide minimal relief. I'm not sure what my next step is? Thanks in advanced

• Welcome Danny;
    Have you tried massage therapy or accupuncture ? My brother-in-law had similar pain with not much showing on his MRI. His Ortho suggested massage therapy which he tried and has made a huge difference in his pain.He goes once a week.Hope this helps in some way.Hope you feel better. :H
  • Your pain seems awfully diffuse, which is a bit worrysome. One big question: Do you by any chance do serious weightlifting?

My experience back when I was a personal trainer was that (especially) young men who push themselves very hard with weights suffer serious pain and often injuries of the neck/shoulder/back. Deep squats and chest presses, either with a bar or in a squat rack, are usually the culprit, along with weighted spinal rotations. Think of it this way: If your goal is to work your legs, you should not be placing the weight load on the farthest joint, the shoulder, which is also the most unstable. You also load your neck, hyperextend your wrists and neck, all those not so good things. So if you lift weights, you need to know the cost/benefit of each exercise you do.

Also, it is not uncommon for the growth plates in young men to continue changing into the early twenties. This could be part of your leg pain problem as well; you simply may not be done growing. Any other problems such as a leg length discrepancy will also contribute to spine pain.

Can you point to a traumatic injury, such as a fall, around the start of your pain? If not, do you routinely do anything such as weightlifting or heavy lifting/twisting motions (say, loading a truck) that could have caused enough damage over the long term to cause your pain?

I just wanted to give you a few things to think about. Please don't be afraid to go back to your PCP, tell him everything you've tried without any pain relief. Speak to him calmly, and be realistic about your pain scale. Everyone is different,, true, but if you are truly at the top of the scale, worst pain you could ever imagine, you'd most likely not tolerate much in the way of PT, let alone walking.

Most of all, as unfair as it is, most people (not just doctors) seem to think if you're young you'll snap out of it. Some will even resent your age, as at 19 "you don't even know what pain is." Well, yes you do, and don't you stop asking for help. If you are on your parents' insurance, and you feel one/both are levelheaded, understanding, and support you, think of taking one of them with you. It's harder for professionals to blow off a calm adult than it is someone your age, even though you ARE an adult.

Good luck, and don't give up!
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. sorry to read you are having undiagnosed pain... it can be so difficult to get treatment without a diagnosis.. you know there is pain and that is the important thing to remember.. don't give up on treatment! good luck and keep us informed! Jenny :)