Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

bedawgsbbedawgs Posts: 57
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
How long is recovery for microdiscectomy and did it help anyone with back pain,i still cant bend and stand but for so long and the pain is starting to get in lower stomach,just wandering if any has had this,i had it done may 25 2010.

• Hi there...several folks on here can give you insight on the Microdiscectomy experiences.

It sounds like you had the surgery back in May.
    What level did they do the procedure on?
    Hvae you been to PT? I ask this b/c at PT they can work with you on how to safely bend and how to work on your core muscles to strengthen them which may hlpe your back.

Anyhow, from my experience which includes 2 microdiscectomies and lots of reading (i.e. I am not a medical doctor) I can tell you that after my 1st surgery on L5-S1, I didn't find much relief. A little in the leg but in fact only for 2 weeks and it was small. I re-herniated (or a big piece was left behind). Anyhow, about 5 months later after researching whether I wanted to get fusion or revision microdiscectomy, I opted for the revision microd (they redo the procecure).

Why? Because my main symptom was leg pain but I did have back pain. I had a lot of leg numbness. The back pain I was getting was mostly muscular in nature b/c I was compensating for the leg pain and under lots of stress.

The 2nd surgery actually did help with my back muscular pain but this is because I believe pressure came off the leg so I wasn't compensating as much. I went to PT and as my core stomach/back muscles are strengthening, I'm finding less back pain. Why? PT was able to help me with body mechanics. (Weather and female menstrual cycle do impact my back pain.)

Now, my leg pain is still there. It is reduced and I can stand longer than 10 mins. I can also sit longer than 10 mins.

Now...I can probably stand for 30-45 mins and I can sit for an hour (though I try to keep it to 45 mins) before leg pain starts.

- Have you spoken to your doctor?
    You are almost 2 months out so I suspect you have already had a 6-week post op visit.
    -Did s/he recommend PT? If not can you ask?
    -Did s/he recommend another visit at the 3-month mark? If not, press for this and if you aren't happy with the results, ask for another MRI to be sure you didn't lose any additional disc. This is what I did.
    - What do you do now? After my 2nd surgery I came off pain meds pretty quickly. However, occassionally I had to take them. Now, I have to take 2 ibuprofin and 1 pain reliever (like tylenol) in the am and the same before bed. Doing this seems to keep my pain levels manageable. If I stop taking the over-the-counter stuff, I start hurting after a week.
    Also, I found that walking daily (even if just for 15 min) is helpful at keeping scar tissue off the nerve and my legs from cramping.
    In addition, icing can be helpful.

I hope I gave you some ideas.
    Your stomach pains are worrysome...I would call your dctor b/c it could be related to the meds.
  • You should go back to your doctor for further testing. I had a micro-d in December 2007 and felt almost instantaneously better. Unfortunately, I had other instabilities in my spine and the relief only lasted about six months. As I understand it (and I am not a medical professional), the micro-d is intended to trim offending materials off your nerves so that you should have fairly quick relief. If you had your surgery in May and are still in pain, I think there is something else wrong.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I just had a microdiscectomy on 9/23/2010. At its worst the pain was completely debilitating and I needed a walker just to get around the house but after a Cortisone shot and after I started taking 300mg Neurontin 3x/day and one Norco 7.5mg in the morning the pain was managed though not eliminated. Two weeks after the surgery I feel much better but not perfect by any means. The surgeon said there was a lot of disc compression. There is still a bit of swelling around the surgery area. I am not taking any pain medication now. I only have pain when walking and I would rate that pain as a bit less then it was prior to the surgery when taking the pain medication. I guess that's good though I'm a bit impatient at this point. Normally I enjoy hiking and walking the dogs. Prior to the surgery I could not do that at all. Now I probably could but I don't know that I would want to due to the pain unless I were to take pain medication. I'm cautiously optimistic right now but hoping for further improvement.