Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

tlif sugery recovery

larrycoop89llarrycoop89 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:45 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
i had back surgery May19,2010 at the Veterans Hospital it was a tlif with 6 screws 2 rods and to discsl4andl5,l5 and s1 and my surgeon has me of till november 1,2010.My job is with coca-cola and i do a lot of lifting and twisting and bending all day and i wanted to know is their anyone out there that their job has any heavy lifting and how did they handel going back to work.
advertisement

Comments

• I am having a TLIF soon and do a lot of bending lifting and twisting at work. I am a nurse in a hospital and am wondering the same thing as you. I have had 2 other back surgeries with subsequent re-herniations and worry about going back to the same job this time.
  • 1st since you work at coca-cola i very well know you have a physical job.

i am 54 y/o a local truckdriver, and it quite often i have to do a lot of physical work also
    i had the exact same surgery, you had. mine was on march 19th, I just started p.t. 1 1/2 weeks ago, and there is no way i could go back to my job right now.

i still cant bend and lift any thing heavy, if i stand more then 15 minutes my right side pain level increases. if i sit more then 30 minutes my left side and leg pain level increases.

most importantly everyone is different so you may have better luck.
    most people on here say give it a year for a full recovery, so depending on how you got hurt maybe a good idea if they are pressing you to come back to work see if they have any lite duty for a while so you dont rush into your job.

also i am average height and weight, so im sure a persons body size probably plays a role in their recovery.

mine is a work comp. injury so im not gonna rush things, just following doctor orders and see how things play out.
    hope this helps you.
    take care.

tknow;
    there are a lot of nurses on here who could help you better then me.
    take care.
  • Well I had a 2 level fusion on L4-S1 on March 1st of this year. I am still off of work
    I am a registered nurse that worked as an occupational health nurse in a large factory that builds tractors and combines.

I will not be going back to that job. I will not be able to do floor nursing either do to all of the heavy lifting you do.

I will prob. try getting a clinic nurse job in the next month or so.

I still have pain everyday at the surgical site but my leg and butt pain from nerve impingement is gone.

Tonya