Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Member here could use some advice

nick412nnick412 Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in New Member Introductions
Well I first hurt my back about 8 years ago performing deadlifts in a gym, basically i had taken a month off and decided to be all gun-ho my first day back.As I performed the lift, I made it about a foot off the ground when the pain hit me in my lower spine and could hear what sounded like a tear or for lack of a better word a fart is what it sounded like.I dropped to the floor and crawled away.I never went to see a doctor when this happened and pretty much stayed in bed for a week.Ever since then Ive had chronic pain in my lower back and sometimes to the left.For the most part I live with it but sometimes I'll get a flare up and would end up hitting the ER.They would usually give me some meds and tell me to take it easy.
I dont have any insurance and that's a whole other complicated matter.Fast foward to a week ago when I was working on a roof and out of nowhere the pain hit me like never before and I literally dropped face down on the roof and turned over to lay there on my back(luckily it was a low pitch roof) for about 20mins.Eventually I was able to get down and then go to the ER.From the moment I got there They were trying to get rid of me either they didnt believe me or it was cuz I had no ins.They ended up giving me some meds and a walker and sending me on my way 3 hours later.
Next day I still cant stand or even sit up.I couldnt put any vertical weight on my spine.So I went to another hospital and they actually seemed like they cared and kept me for 3 days.Problem is neither hospital saw anything accute in either the mri or xray.So why does it hurt so much unless Im laying down.I have a very high pain tolerance.For example I cut off my toe at work and was laughing.My back pain has literally put me in tears.I was discharged about 4 days ago and Ive only seen minimal improvement.Is this gonna go away? Should I start considering disability? Im 30 and I wanna work.I still have my job waiting for me but if I'm nt productive im gone.
Any and all opinions and advice is welcome.

• Hello Nick,

And a hearty Welcome to Spine Health! There is a search box that you can use as well with your questions. As to disability at this point, you've only had medical evals via ER's right? I know you said you don't have insurance, but I don't think SS or anyone would award disability without a valid diagnosis? At this stage you're putting the cart ahead of the horse!!!

Lots of things can generate pain, disks, bone alignment, torn ligaments etc. If you can get access to the Neurologist (not a surgeon) and work out a mutual payment schedule, you might be able to be properly evaluated. I'm sorry that you're hurting as you are. Having had 4 new roofs (thank you bloody hurricanes!), I KNOW guys that do the roof work are in some of the worst postures to support longterm healthy backs!!! Please keep us posted on what you find out.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry you are having undiagnosed pain. it would be next to impossible to get disability without one.. having such terrible pain and roofing at this time does not sound like the best idea... perhaps now is the time to see a specialized doctor.. look into teaching hospitals in your area! good luck and keep us informed! drop by anytime! Jenny :)
  • Well I got the ball rolling on health ins.Only problem is I'm gonna run out of my scripts in 2 days and I'm looking at about 2 weeks before my ins comes through.I don't want to hit the ER again just to get pain meds.,they're gonna think I'm some junkie.I called the local walk in clinic and was told they do not write scripts for pain meds.Any suggestions besides hitting the ER again? BTW, I live in Taunton MA.
  • Howdy Nick,

Glad to see the insurance issue soon will be fixed. I just thought of this... Can you contact your pharmacy that you use to see if they know who or where you can go in the inter-rum for a prescription? I figure since they deal with lower income and elderly, they might be the best source to ask what to do? Just a thought mind you. Good luck!!! :)

• Thanks ill give it a shot.Cant hurt to ask.My biggest concern now is that the pain has leveled off to a different level than what Ive been used to.Yes i can stand,walk,sit up etc.. which i couldnt do last week but the level of pain in doing so hasnt changed in 3-4days.
  • Was off for a day and a half, had some sort of 24hr bug or something. How did it go? I hope you're doing better today. *hug*