Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The new ways of life

emtchickieeemtchickie Posts: 39
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Lighten and Brighten
I sometimes think that if we had the control of walking away from a lifestyle we have known for so long that it would be easier on all of us. This new life we all seem to be facing no one would have asked for it on purpose so it's harder for us to accept it with open arms. Some feel like we were cheated, double crossed, used and well just gut kicked when it comes to leaving our old ways of living. No one said it was going to be easy nor maybe what we really would like to deal with, but we have either no choice when it comes to dealing with it. Young and old alike we all hate change and would do anything to avoid it especially when it comes to our health. For some it's hard to know you can't go out and kick a soccer ball around with your kids, to ones that are making the choice of leaving a job that they have worked for 30+ years. The pain may get to be so bad at times you could scream (and some of us do) and then there are those special days that we feel a little like our old self. No matter what everyone involved with spine-health has or had issues that have brought us to our knees. It's nice to know you are not alone during a difficult time in our lives. From ocean to ocean we come here as a family giving support to others and find ourselves even putting our own pain and issues aside to lend a helping hand, hug and heart.

• Howdy EMT,

That's me! Had to retire a job I loved/lived for 2 months shy of 30 years - and under disability. It took a while for it to consciously come to me being able to see it, and accept it. I like to tell people (even those who normally retire) is your "brain" has to be on board, otherwise you will be bummed as your brain is still identifying with the job. I've seen "normal" people get all depressed leaving the work force for 35-40 years of service cuz they can't let go!

So I guess that is one similarity to that of us that are forced to retire or change careers well before the time-line *we* wanted and planned. Unfortunately us spiney types were put on the 'fast forward' to removal from the job market! We just have to remember that regardless, the "person" is still there, pain and all! Good thread EMT!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • You summed it up very well I can definately relate to a lot of what you said. Thanks!
  • for sharing all of that. I don't know what my life would be like today if it hadn't been for the support I have received here. Being in pain and isolated was so depressing. My new life has become a little brighter now and you girly have become a good friend to have. (((((((((hugs))))))))))))

• hey lori
    Great thread....I'm grateful for the ppl I have still in my life (which are few)but some have stuck by me..like all of you in sh..I was alone my last struggle with back surgery...
    This time with issues have doubled I have all of you and I'm try everyday to find the good in all of this pain...I am blessed with healthy kids and a kind hubby.. and all of you
    thank you girly for the post
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • I have been reading comments from other memebers and have noticed that in almost all their comments there was that one thing in common... In with the new and out with the old. I have finally accepted that I will probably never coach soccer or softball work as a nurse or jump into the back of an emergency squad as an EMT. If my health had NOT took a turn for the worse I would have never met my very wonderful "brothers and sisters" in here that make me smile and THAT my friends is what keeps me going and fills that void :)
  • and so very true. Coming to terms that the "old" life style is not suitable is probably the most difficult thing I've ever had to do. I used to be a very active and physical person and still miss it horribly some days. However, with my new found friends from here, I've learned to deal with it better and found the truth in knowing I'm not the only one.
    Thanks Lori!! (((((((hugs))))))