Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Scheduled for my consult (before 1st injection)

BarbF01BBarbF01 Posts: 124
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Spinal Injections
I just was able to schedule my 1st visit with the pain mgmt Dr, for my consult and to see what he thinks about my Ortho spinal Dr's order for an injection. I have no idea what to expect for either the consult (thats happening on 08/02) or the injection (to be determined at the consult appt).Any ideas on what to expect, or hints on what to ask?? I know that I should be keeping a log on all symptoms (when worse, when better), and on how Ive responded to all treatment so far..anything else?

• I'm assuming your talking lumbar injections?

They really aren't too big of a deal for most patients. One thing you want to make sure is that it's an x-ray-guided injection, not just freehand. They need to watch the x-ray while they put the needle in. Also you can ask about a light sedation or if they can give you a valium or xanax to take before you get to the center to have it done. It's always nerve-racking, but it's really not too bad.

They should give you a log to keep a record of your pain after the injection and many times they don't want you to take any pain medications after the injections so they have the right indication whether it helped or not.

Generally, you go into the center, you get undressed, put on one of those wonderful hospital gowns, get in the bed and get hooked up to an IV. Then you fill out forms, wait and wait some more, then they come get you and take you into the room and roll you over onto the table. Then the give you a topical anesthetic so you can't feel the needle go in. Sometimes they'll give you a stress ball to hold on to or something, but mine talked to me the whole time, asking if I was ok. I think there were four people in the room - the physio doing the injections and three nurses making sure you're ok.

Before you know it, it's over an you're wheeled back to your little curtained area and they watch you for about an hour. If you have someone in the waiting room, they can usually come sit with you until it's time to go home. Usually there's a bit more pain for the first hour or so, then hopefully, if it worked, you feel better. In either case, it's best to rest for about three days to give the medicine a chance not to disperse into the rest of your body and just to stay in the injected spot.

Everything I said above is my experience only, and it may be different for others. The x-ray guided injection is important though, anyone who has had one will tell you that. But the rest was just my experience.

I almost felt that it was a bit overkill, but they like to be careful with these things.

Take care and keep us posted, ok?
  • This is all new territory to me, so Im glad that someone was able to give me some sort of idea as to what I could expect. I know that it was your personal experience, but it gives me an idea of what someone else did go through - so Im not going into this thing so blind. I now just have to wait until my consult on Aug 2nd, so I'll let you know more then! :)
  • Best wishes with your consult with your new PM Dr. I've seen several PM Drs for their opinions and much of the time is spent assessing your pain and what you're able to lift or what you're able to do walking etc. I've had more than an epidural like trigger point injections and nerve blocks and facet joint injections to help with back and leg pain. Usually the Drs give you the information before hand what to expect from the injections and whether you will need sedation. This PM Dr. I have has worked with me and given me the most attention and caring attitude. Hopefully your Dr. will be the right fit for you. We're here to support you when you have your injections. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I am relieved to hear that others have been through this before me (although Im not glad that anyone had to go throuigh it..Im just glad that Im not the 1st and others can relate to how I feel.. know what I mean?). :)