Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

c3 thru t1 front and back fusion

gailgggailg Posts: 13
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello, I've had a c3 thru t1 anterior and posterior fusion with rods and screws a year ago. I now have started having headaches stemming from the neck. I can feel the tension. IT is mostly when I'm sitting at my desk on the computer either here or at work. Anyone have any advice on how to ease these headaches? I see a physical therapist as often as I can.

• First off Gail, Welcome to Spine Health!!! There is a wealth of information on here from the 'search box' to its members!

I am not associated with any medical training or background, so what I am going to pose is based on my own experiences. Okay? I would of course as my PT if he/she has any thoughts, and if it gets really bad, even though a year out, a call to your surgeon.

*My* thoughts? Based on what you described, have you tried using a different chair, changing the angle of your monitor or how your posture is affected by your keyboard? It could be as simple as how you are sitting in 'said' chair, or how you position yourself at your office desk and computer! I am (sort of) fused C5-7, and get what you're describing, and found I had to wiggle around and change my position often, and *my* headaches dropped a lot.

Another thing I just thought of. I also got headaches when I talked on the land line phone as my head was cranked to the left. I now use a headset (even at home), and my cell is now blue tooth only. Again, just my experiences, hope they help! Again, welcome to the site!!! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Have you considered getting the posterior hardware out. I did on lumbar and love it no pain, and now a year from last cervical fusion, and wanting my cervical hardware out also just the posterior anterior has to stay, i have found that the hardware it self is very painful, the hardware can be giving you tension headaches... Just a thought
  • Sorry, I've been down and out. Same reason except with dizziness now. good days and bad. I thank you both for the information. I'm thinking about going back to see my surgeon and ask questions. I can golf but can't sit at a desk. Silly isn't it.
  • Gail,

Naw, not silly. Our spines are funny in that sometimes a 'little' thing hurts us more than active things. No, biggie, I don't get it sometimes either! (G) Glad to see you back. Have you found out anything new as to what might be going on? I'm for sure curious. Take care, and welcome back!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Wow, you've had MAJOR surgery on your spine! May I ask the reason for it? Was it scoliosis?

I hope you can get in to see your doctor soon and get some relief figured out. :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Sorry for being out of the loop for awhile. My headaches are better but now i am having trouble with my middle back on my right side. If I'm up and walking around I'm fine, sitting at work is the worst. I'm going to go see my dr. and hopefully have this figured out. I already have a couple bulging discs in my thoracic from a few years ago. I used to be a gymnast who fell head first of the bars and they beleive this was the onset of all the problems I'm having later in life. My lower back isn't much better but I deal with it. I haven't had an mri on my lower yet. But I do have lots of nerve issues with controling my limbs. Not a fun experience. thanks to all for their imput. It surely helps