Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test


blazerblazer Posts: 785
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Health Insurance Issues
Just curious, but how do you find out what you would receive from ssdi monthly.
i cant find the formula on any websites.

i'm thinking that it is the amount that is on the yearly social security statement we get every year.
where it says what you would get monthly when you retire.
just below that it says what you would get monthly if you became disabled.

i have no idea how that works, just a quess, could anyone tell me if im right or wrong.
if im correct is that the amount you would get every month.

thank you in advance


  • The statement arrives in the mail about 2 months before your birthday & 1 of the figures it lists is how much disability you would receive
  • thanks, thats what i was thinking but was'nt sure.
    also i read people saying something about 60% for 1st year, then 40% there after. would you know what that means, reason i ask is that might be one of my options if i cant do what i have been doing for 28 years, that is being a local union truckdriver.

    just exploring options right now, thanks
  • No, once you are on S.S. Disability, you know what your monthly check will be for & then if there is a cost of living increase, then you'll automatically receive it. I think I read this was the first year that there was no increase.
  • Since this topic is here .. what do the lawyers typically get paid? I've heard that they get paid if you get benefits but never how if works.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    WWW.SSA.GOV has a lot of good information

    At this time I think the max SS will pay an attorney is around $6000. Thus it's imperative that you get an attorney who does SS all the time and agrees to SS's designated fee as full payment upon approval.

    Also, when you've seen % like 60%, that likely is in reference to people discussing their employer's LTD policy. Some employers offer LTD, some don't.

    If you don't have your SS statement you can go to

    www.ssa.gov/mystatement and order one. Or as was said it will come annually around 2-3 months before your birthday. I recommend people keep every SS statement they get.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • every one for the information.
    if i have to go that route, i would first have to check on my pension, i got 28 years in the teamsters union but i am 54 y/o dont know if i have the age yet.
    yes i did get the ss statement, got it locked up in my safe. but remember it saying i would get at least $2100 a month disability.
    i would also have to find out if i can stop paying alimony on that money. i know only a ss lawyer could help me there.
    guess we could start a new thread "what area would you want to retire to".
    me i'm right outside chicago, and i want to go south probably arizona. my kids already said they would go with me.

    thank you everyone for your info.

  • Social Security does not pay the attorney, their fee is taken from the award amount to the client. The award is 25% of retroactive payments and any future payments up to a maximum dollar amount. (I believe that amount was $6,600 but it may have been increased effective this year.)

    Just wanted to make it clear that the government doesn't pay for your attorney, you do if you are awarded disability.
  • thank you.
    yup to me it would be worth it to make sure all proper steps and paperwork are in order.

    the process is complicated and i would'nt want to take it on myself.
    just like with work comp. i have lawyer for that to.
    thank you again.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    If by any chance your employer offers Long Term Disability, often if your LTD claim is approved then you will be referred by the LTD insurance company to an attorney and get "credit" for attorney fees. It's a little bit complicated so no need to explain unless this applies to you.

    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • But no, we do not have that where i work.
    mine is work comp. anyway so i dont believe that would apply to me,

    i get a ct-scan in september, to see how i'm healing and then i'll start talking to doctor about my chances of going back to driving a truck or should i explore other options.
    But for right now i'm just getting information for the "what ifs".
  • Jim see if your union offers disability retirement. I know my husbands (IBEW) does. Just may reduce your monthly check a little because of age. My son's godfather went out at 59 with heart issues and he made more between pension and SSDI than he was making when working! And he kept his medical for free.

    As far as alimony I've heard of people going back to court to get the amount adjusted when their salary decreases. My guess is that you won't be doing this because I think your combined income will be pretty good.

    Another thought is look into the income taxes in states you want to move to. Some have no income tax but they have a general tax on all your assets. Just something to think about. Also look at the cost to live in each state.
  • Oh another thing. If you pay a lawyer to get you taxable income then the lawyer fees are deductable.

    I would highly recommend hiring an accountant (not a walk in place) to do your taxes that first year. There are lots of credits and conditions that will apply. It will be worth the money you pay - and the preparer fee is deductable the next year :)

    I say this as an accountant with 25 years experience. I have nothing against "walk-in" places but I know that many of those places have relatively inexperienced people. Make sure you know that your preparer is experienced and will do any research necessary to get you all the deductions and credits you are entitled to.
  • very much, kris. I will definitely check with my union on the disability retirement, that is something i also didnt know.

    i also didnt know that about accountants, gonna try to print this page so i can put in with my notes in case i need to go that route.
    doing this now because i dont like waiting for the last minute and going crazy trying to get things in place.

    considering the complexity of all this, i would rather have the help of a professional to make sure i
    have all my ducks lined up in a row.

    the alimony is a sore subject with me, because they have laws in place, but thet dont enforce them, i was quoted this by at least 6 lawyers, but thats another subject.

    anyway thank you, you have been a wealth of information.
    take care.
Sign In or Register to comment.