Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

scheduled for 2 level neck fusion and very concerned

concernedcconcerned Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Below is my MRI summary I have indications of bi lateral nerve damage. the Neuorsurgeon has scheduled a 2 level discectomy with fusion. He says it is my choice.
I don't know if I am ready to take this drastic step.

any ideas anyone?

1. There is moderate multilevel cervical spondylosis greatest C3-C7.
In particular there is severe left foraminal narrowing identified at
C5-C6 in association with paracentral disc osteophyte complex.
Details as above.

• there are very few of us here who are doctors (I'm not one of those), so we can't tell you what you should do. From what I understand of the terminology, your cervical spine has a bit of instability. You've got some narrowing in the foramina (I think that's the plural), so it's no doubt compressing some of your nerves. Also sounds like the disc and some boney growths at C5-C6 are giving you trouble. Now mind, I'm not a doctor, and that's only what I think. I had trouble in my lumbar spine. Squished discs, narrowing of the foramina, some spondy, a bit of scoliosis and some arthritis (osteophytes). I had a discectomy. I felt GREAT for about six months, but the rest of the problems (instability), finally caught up with me and I went for the fusion. No doctor in my town would do a three-level fusion. I had to travel two hours away to get it done. Was it hell? YES. Am I glad I finally decided to do it? YES, YES, and YES again. I'm finally getting my life back. Life is much too short to live in pain.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • First let me say welcome to spine-health. Linda, has given you some pretty good ideas as to what is going on. At the top of the page you will find a search feature any words you don't understand place them in the search feature and lots of doctor written peer reviewed articles will appear.

AS far as what to do about surgery? Unless you are in risk of paralysis surgery is often not the first line of care, but then from the looks of it you have some instability. The question becomes to what degree of instability do you have? You should be asking your surgeon what are the risk of putting off surgery? Also if you choose surgery learn the risk and and exactly the procedure he/she will be doing. There are some animated video's here which can help you understand the procedure they will be performing. My guess would be ACDF(anterior cervical discectomy and fusion).

I have had the ACDF and the surgery itself is not to bad, but does take some time to heal from. Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health and if there is anything I can do don't hesitate to pm me. Keep us posted and take care.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I had a C5-C7 ACDF in 2006 and it improved my symptoms a great deal. I wish I had included C4 as it was "iffy" on the MRI. I've developed some symptoms from that so now I may have a revision. So make sure you look at the whole picture when choosing which route to go.

2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos