Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Up all night

tonyanwisconsinttonyanwisconsin Posts: 189
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am sure most of my fellow spineys have had nights like I just did. I slept an entire 2 hours..and not in a row..lol
My back is just plain hurting. It has been hurting for a week now. Right at the surgery site.

I saw my surgeon last week. Same thing...your getting there..it is a slow process for most people...heres your off work note..and med refills.

I like my surgeon don't get me wrong. I have seen him every 4 weeks since my surgery on March 1st. This is definately a 1 step forward..2 steps back recovery. I am still feeling pretty well overall since my blood pressure has been treated.

But I am so ready for this back pain to be gone. It hurts very badly if I try and do the smallest things. So here I am at 7am bleary eyed and tired but when I tried to go lay down in my bed..my back hurt too much and I had to get up again.

Guess it is time to put on my TENS unit and take more meds..ugh..so ready to have my life back. Im home alone all week. Hubbie flew to Florida for his brother wedding. I skipped it..They are doing the Disney parks..no way I could ride the rides and walk for hours.

• So sorry that you are still having that back pain and that it is disturbing your sleep.

I hope that your TENS unit gives you some relief and that as the day pans out, you will start to feel better.

What can you do to treat yourself this week while your hubby is in Florida?
    I hope that there will be something that will feel like consolation that you couldn't go to the wedding and Disney parks.

I really feel for you Tonya, and will be remembering you in my prayers for your recovery to get back into action and move you forward.

I had my son's graduation on Monday, which exhausted me and flared up my pain, but I did it! <:P

Back in January, when I was talking to my surgeon about having the fusion, that was the most important thing that I wanted to be able to do. If he had said I wouldn't be ready to attend, I would have postponed surgery by about 6 months.

I hope and pray that you will be ready for future important functions, and that things will improve soon.

PS You are not home alone :(
    You have all your spiney friends here, at the press of a button. :D
  • Oh my friend, I am so sorry you are struggling today! Being home alone doesn't make it any better I am sure! I wish I was closer, I'd come hang out with you!

This journey is long but there is a light at the end of the (very long) tunnel! :)

Do you have access to a pool, maybe the water would help your low back!

We are here for you and will keep you company until your hubby returns.

A few weeks ago (Father's Day) my hubby, daughter and friends all went to a water park. I stayed behind. One of these days, we won't have to stay behind. Then Look Out. Spiney's on the loose! :)

Hang in there! Hope you are able to find some relief today!
  • Try a heat pad with your TENS unit. My PT does this to my back for about 20 mins. and it usually helps.
  • Gentle *HUGZ* Sorry you're a hurting digit! I hope you are able to get some relief, and too continue healing as your doctor says. You are not alone either, as we are here for you! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I'm about two months ahead of you in recovery for my TLIF and yes, it's a long row to hoe. I still have LBP and I'm over 6 months out. But I do feel better than before and it's improving, albeit slowly. So, listen to your surgeon, he's right. It takes a long time and all you can do is walk as much as possible and don't overdo things.

Have you been to PT yet? Getting core muscles working is a great benefit in helping the pain after lumbar surgery. I'd tell you it's worked for me if I'd actually do my exercises like I'm supposed to. I've promised myself and my doc I'd work harder to do my exercises so that I can get my LBP levels down.

Take care and please keep us posted on your recovery.

• :D :D Sorry to hear about the sleepless night -- feeling a little ditzy today I bet. Pain and sleeplessness, the dynamic duo!

Do you have a comfy recliner that lessens your pain that you would let you fall asleep? Do you take a sleep aid along with your pain pills?

Hey, I'm in Orlando and believe me you're not missing anything -- It's hot as blazes here and the humidity spikes make you feel like you'll just blow up (LOL!). I've never understood why people go to theme parks in the summer -- not a pleasant experience.

I'm blurry eyed as I type this -- I haven't sleep more than 4 hours the past two nights and I'm SO tired! Hopefully, tonight will be the night I pass out into a coma like sleep.

Hang in there -- sending up prayers for healing and sleep.

Take care,

• sorry to hear that your back is causing such a sleep problem. I know a friend told me before surgery that if you can walk as often and as much as possible, it heals faster with less overall pain. I don't know if that's correct, but i lived with a cold pack and constant short 10 minute walks until i could do longer. For me, it seemed to work. My doc has been amazed at how quickly I didn't need pain meds. another thing that helped me at night was making sure there was enough memory foam on the mattress. I would also play devils advocate and make sure there is no sign of infection that can make the inscision site more sensitive and sore. Hopefully, between everyone's suggestions you will find something that works for you. Gentle hugs.
  • I have to agree that the road to recovery is very long, at least for some of us. I found that I have to have a pretty hard surface on which to sleep. We have a select comfort air bed and my side is up to 65. It was at 50 before my surgery. that 15 difference is a bunch harder. I found that soft didn't work at all for me.

Truth be told I have nights where I'm wide awake but its not usually because of my back. I have found that I need to do deep knee bends a few times a day, which seems to help stretch out the lower back muscles. I make sure I'm holding on to something on both sides so I don't lose my balance. If I don't do this my meds go up by a factor of 2.

Ask your Dr., or PT person what you can do to target the exact area that is giving you problems.

Hope you can find a answer and DO get some sleep.
  • Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. It is just nice to know I am not alone in this.

I too have a sleep number bed. Maybe I should try to make it firmer..I have it on 45.

I ended up sleeping for about 5 hours today..Will prob. just take 2 Tylenol PM's in a little while so I don't get my days and nights all mixed up.

My best friend came over tonight and walked around the block with me. Then she helped me pick green beans and squash out of my garden. I can't bend over to pick them...my husband usually does it.

Jayhawk I wish you lived closer too..so we could hang out together in your pool..lol

• Sorry you're still hurting and not sleeping too much. It's horrible when all you want to do is feel well again.

Good friends make all the difference don't they !!

Sending you gentle hugs all the way from Downunder.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Hi Tonya - I don't know how much work you had done, but after my three level, it took me nearly a year and a half to recover. I had a couple of bad (very bad) flare-ups, where I had to take a medrol pack (steroids) to get the inflammation down, up the pain meds and take plenty of lyrica.

I'm off my meds now -- feeling pretty well, but it's been about 1.75 years. Hang in there.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Hi
    I had a 2 level posterior approach fusion done on L4-S1. As you can see I am up again tonight..slept a whole 2 or so hours. Tossing and turning.
    Maybe my husband being gone is not helping me be able to sleep either. Which is weird because we don't always go to bed at the same time..

I will try and force myself to stay up today..lol
    So I can sleep tonight.
  • Sorry to read that you are having trouble sleeping again. I was hoping that you would sleep better tonight.

Do you try getting up and taking a walk around before you lie down again? I often get up and go to the bathroom during the night, not because I need to use the toilet, but just to walk to try and get comfortable in bed.

I have been waking every couple of hours and need to change my position and re-adjust my pillows. Some times the change of position isn't enough, and I need to get up and walk, otherwise I just keep tossing and turning.

Hope that you can get some sleep before it is time to get up! I)

• tonya,

So sorry to hear of your frustrations still post op. I think of you often and hope for improvement for you soon. Lynette
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I sympathize. I was up all night last night. And we're up in our RV so there's no where to go when I get up except 2 feet into the "living room" ~X(

Glad to see you have a Sleep Number bed. We are seriously considering getting one and soon. Not that I want to take on another payment (I hear they often have 18 mo payment plans) but I think it will do wonders for both hubby and I. Any idea which model you have?

My saving grace has been our satellite radio (sirius). So much programming that I can usually find something decent at 2 am.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos