Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Tramadol ER People :)

Lala329LLala329 Posts: 283
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Pain Medications
I've got a few questions for tramadol ER people...It looks like tramadol ER is going to be my baseline med because the Nucynta is giving me some issues. I'll probably be mixing it with a low dose of Savella which is supposed to help with energy and drowsiness (yes, my PM doc is supervising the combo of these drugs).

1) What time of day do you take tramadol ER (the generic Ultram ER, not Ryzolt). I saw a little graph that shows it hits its peak plasma concentration at 10 hours, so I'm wondering if I should be taking it in the middle of the night so it'll hit its peak in the morning? My doctor said it doesn't really matter when I take it, but that if it were him he'd stick with taking it in the AM. Is there a time when you take it that works best?

2) I was started on 200 mg. It's the equivalent of 4- 50 mg tablets/day which is why my doc started me on that dosage. I'm pretty small, though, so I'm going to ask my doctor if it'd be worthwhile to give the 100 mg strength a shot. Did you guys start at 100 mg?? Is there a big pain relief difference between 100 mg and 200 mg (the 200 just takes the edge off so I'm not sure the 100 would help enough)?

3) What is your breakthrough med? My PM doc said just a tylenol can boost the effectiveness which is cool, but I think he'll also give me something stronger for breakthrough.

4) Anyone tried Ryzolt verus Ultram ER...I've read the propaganda from the Ryzolt people and the time release technology does look superior to the generic ultram ER as far as providing higher plasma concentrations for a longer period of time. There's a huge price difference though, so it hardly seems worth it. I was just curious if anyone has tried this semi-new Ryzolt stuff...

Thanks guys :) I know I always have a million and one questions (haha, HappyHBMom, I bet you didn't think I'd be able to come up with anything else to ask about tramadol).

• Hi Lala...I take Tramal becuse here in Australia it is the drug of choice for longterm use.

I have a 50mg first thing in the morning and then another around 3 hours later.At night I take the 200mg slow release Tramal as well as a 50mg..
    Or sometimes I take the 200mg in the morning and 2 x 50mg in the day and then another 200mg at night again.

All depends on my pain level each day..

Hope this helps you a little
  • I took the generic Ultram ER for about 2 years. I'd take it first thing in the morning. At the time that I was on that I was taking Norco 10 BT. That combination worked perfectly. I had to end up getting off of that and going with the fentanyl patch because it wasn't enough to manage the pain I was having.

Just a little side note but...I was never able to take regular Ultram or the generic. For some reason my stomach wouldn't tolerate the IR but it fine with the ER...strange. My PM told me it probably had something to do with the molecular structure..?..probably. :?
  • I took Ultram ER as well, first thing in the morning. The thing is, it doesn't matter as much whether you take it in the morning or at night, but that you take it every day so that your doses overlap. Once you've been taking it a few days, you'll have a fairly steady amount in your system.

I only took 100, which just was not quite enough. It was as much as they would let me take with my dose of Cymbalta.

Tramadol never had any side effects at all for me, it was like a miracle drug. When I first started taking it, I couldn't believe how much better it made me feel without any drowsiness. But I did either develop tolerance, or develop a type of pain that was not responsive to Tramadol- because there came a point where it was just no longer affective.

And yes- Tramadol + Tylenol is a great combo.