Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

post op exercise---when?

carlukccarluk Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Exercise and Rehab
Hi, I had an L5 microdiscectomy 4 weeks ago. I still have a lot of sciatic pain but hopefully that will go.

I am used to doing alot of exercise in my normal life and I am wondering how soon I will be able to start swimming again and/or start some non impact cardio gym work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Carl.

• Generally there are post op instructions that tell how long after surgery you need to avoid specific movements and exercise. Have you contacted your surgeon's office to inquire about this or perhaps inquire into being sent to Physical Therapy? PT is great for teaching us how to safely stretch and strengthen our body prior to and after surgery.

Each surgeon has their own ideas on how soon and how much they feel their patients can do. Your surgeon is the only one who really knows how much impact he had on your spine. Armed with that knowledge, he is the one best to advise you on how soon and how intensely you can exercise.

• hi! :H as usual, "C" has given you the perfect advice to finding out about your time to start exercising! too soon can ruin your surgery!!! your doctor knows best about this.... i hope you are in the pool in no time and feeling better every day!! good luck to you! Jenny :)