Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

It is time now

PeggyMPPeggyM Posts: 129
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Recovering from Surgery
for my posts to be in the Recovering Section.

I leave for home one week from today. It is going to be very difficult as I'm not sure my son is ready to take on life again without my help. I can't stay any longer. I've been here 5 weeks now and while I've been gone 2 more people were laid off where I work. They have been so accomodating about my son's surgery but I just can't push it anymore.

I've been busting my a$$ the last few days getting ready to have a yard sale this weekend to get rid of tons of stuff that my son has stored from when he had his surf shop. So much great merchandise that I know will sell! So...what happens...we have a Depression below Florida and may have quite a few inches of rain this weekend!! So we are watching the Weather Channel and acting accordingly!

Oh well...such is life! At least my son seems to be making a steady recovery and that is what counts!

Onwards & Upwards!

P x

• I hope he continues to do well. I'm sure that he has enjoyed and appreciated every single minute you've spent with him.

Good luck with the garage sale. We're going to the flea market tomorrow if I'm still feeling well after getting out today. It's my last day with my mom (again) lol. I tried going home for the weekend before last but ended up coming back here for 12 more days.

Thank goodness for and thank you to wonderful parents and family! That component has made my recovery that much easier. So tomorrow is the day for my husband and children to take over.

I hope you have a wonderful last week here. And let's cross our fingers together that this tropical depression misses us all! :SS
  • And, despite your worries, you need to take care of yourself also.

Hope he continues to improve each day and you might be surprised about how well he copes.

• Peggy, you have given your son the best start possible in his recovery.

Your love for him and your grandsons shows through in your posts. They will remember this time for many years to come. Hopefully you'll be able to return for a visit before too long.

You have got Jason over the worst part of the recovery and now he should be able to manage, especially with the boys to help a bit.

I hope that you have enjoyed being very much a part of their lives during your stay. You must have got to know your grandsons and built a closer relationship in that time. I'm sure that you will miss them all, but you will be able to keep in close touch with them and how they are doing.

I hope that you settle back into your job and life in the UK quickly.
    Do pop in here occassionally and let us know how you and your son are doing. :D
  • Good luck with the garage sale. Bonus if you have a garage if it rains! I had a yard sale two weeks ago and was able to cut my things in half. Only $200. but it's because I didn't have too much other than crystal items and little clothing, but if you have furniture and books and records and CDs you may get better sales. Many people liked mirrors, foot stools, camper fold able chairs and wicker coffee table which I decided to keep.

We made tables of crates and long boards for tables to display the items to save seniors from bending over with stuff on the grass. I still plan on another yard sale when my neighbors go it again. Seems more buyers come to garage sales when a couple of houses do them on the street. Good luck!

My Mother and I forgot the sunscreen and both of us got a sunburn. Have fun and hope your son will do well on his own. He should be okay by now, it's great you were there for him. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I know he will be ok. I just worry that he will overdo it and hurt himself. Last night he was on the floor going thru the boys old toys and I had to bite my tongue to keep from saying something to him! He didn't sleep too well last night and I'm sure it's because he sat in that awful position for too long!

After resting today he is feeling better. The garage sale will have to wait till tomorrow. It poured on and off all day! Supposed to be better tomorrow.

I'm going to recommend to him that he use the egg timer that he uses for the boys when they play video games to time any activities that he does. That way he won't overdo it.

Stacey, I'm glad to hear you are going home. I bet your family is excited too!

Beaver, your husband seems to be progressing really well! I can't imagine my son walking as much as your husband is!! I will be watching for updates from you.

Ah Jelly, you are so right about getting to know my grandchildren all over again. It's been wonderful and because they are old enough now they will remember it. I am REALLY looking forward to getting back home. I've missed my husband alot!

Thanks for the advice on the garage sale Charry. We do have lots of DVDs and books but we also have loads of bikinis, backpacks, t-shirts and sandals. I'm hoping we sell loads cause he could sure use the money. Kids are so expensive and of course school starts next month here and their mom never buys anything for them.

I'll be hanging around here for quite awhile no doubt. Have to see how everyone is doing and of course let you know how my son is.

You Spineys are the best!!

Peggy x
  • So happy that your son is recovering steadily - he so much needed you, and you were there for him.

You're right, it's time to go back home and to your job.

Do let us know how your son is going from time to time.

Wishing you a safe trip home.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Long time no talk to. Good to hear everything is going well with you and your son. If you can't have the yard sale due to Florida's unpredictable weather, have you thought of putting those items on E-Bay?

Have a safe trip back home....

• I am so looking forward to getting home and back to my own routine. I miss my husband very much! Can't say I miss work all that much, just the people. Found out from my boss that they have been moving everyone around in our offices and I will be moved upstairs. I will be around some of the people I like the best so it's all good!

Yesterday we did some shopping. I couldn't believe how well my son did. I was tired from it but he seemed fine! Then we went to dinner, just the 2 of us. It was really nice to sit and eat and talk about grown up stuff instead of just his pain or problems. I think he enjoyed it too!

Hi Marianne! How are you doing? We did have the yard sale but didn't make as much as we had hoped. Too much new clothing from his shop he had to close. I am tempted to take some of it home with me and sell it on ebay. We did have a woman say that she would buy all the new stuff for a shop she is opening so hopefully we can off load some on her.

I will definitely update his progress and I will certainly check to see how all of you are doing and try to give support to others when I can.

P x

• Hi Peggy,
    Hope you are enjoying your last few days in Florida.
    Make the most of them and take lots of photos. (I always love to look at photos to prompt my memories.)

Soon you will be back at home with your hubby.
    I bet he has missed you too! :X >:D<

Will look forward to your updates of how you and Jason are doing.
    Do you think you will be able to return to Florida soon to visit? Perhaps your hubby could go too.

You have given Jason a very precious gift these last few weeks. :X
  • Lots of things to get done these last couple of days! It will probably be a while before I get back to Florida. Next trip is to see my Mom who lives outside of Toronto. She is now in a nursing home and my Dad just recently sold their house to move into an apartment that is in the same place my Mom is. Poor Mom has dementia and my family is worried that if I don't see her soon she may not remember me. I talk to her on the phone about every 10 days and I can tell her dementia is worsening.

So I will probably be going there in October when my holiday time rolls over. Next year I will turn 60 and my family always does something special when you hit those big ones 50,60 etc. They've been talking about a family gathering in Las Vegas. We shall see. Depends on the finances and the economy! Also my sister's eldest daughter is getting married next year and I would love to attend her wedding. So many fun things to do and so little money to do it!

I'm hoping Jason & the boys will be able to make the wedding next year so we might see them then. They are hoping to come and visit us in England in a couple of years and that would be great!

P x
  • You have given your son and grandsons a gift that money can't buy! What a blessing for them to have you! Even I feel a bit sad when I read your posts and think of you leaving them! LOL

I bet yout hubby is so excited to have you home soon! Absence makes the heart grow fonder! :)

That is so wonderful that your family does something special for the "big birthdays"! Mine does too and I love it! I am the youngest and the only girl. Everyone is beginning to have their turn at turning 50, so we have about a trip a year and it is so fun! Creating memories to last a life time!

Safe travels Peggy and thank you for all your support along our journeys!
  • It is so difficult to leave but I have to. Actually Jason is doing really well. He has had a couple of days where I think he did too much but in general he is doing great. He is driving and doing stuff around the house. I think he is going to ok!Good thing the boys don't go back to school for another 3 1/2 weeks.

My husband and I have only been married just under 6 years! He was my first love and I was his. We met again at a reunion and instantly felt that old spark! It had been 34 years since we had seen each other. We were both in the process of divorce (not J's father)...talk about meant to be! He is the love of my life and so supportive of Jason and the little guys just love him. So,yes...he is just missing me a wee bit!

My family is so close, it's nice to hear other families are too. I feel sorry for people with toxic families.

Don't thank me, I haven't done a thing! All of you have been so supportive towards me & Jason and for that I can never repay you, just wish for better days for all of you.

Love & hugs
  • Hi Peggy

Isn't that wonderful that you and your first love met up again and the spark was still there and now you've been married for six years. Wishing you both many more years of love and happiness together.

Having a close family is just the best too.

Hoping you get to see your Mum in October and that Jason and the boys can come to England for the wedding next year. It'll be great to be together again.

Hoping that Jason's recovery continues to go well and that he'll be relatively pain free once he's fused and healed.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008

• Peggy, I hope that today isn't too busy to have some special and close times with Jason and your grandsons.

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow as you journey home. We are having very warm and humid weather here in England, so it will help you to adjust! :-)

I don't have a big close family, and really wish that I did. It is something that I regret. Hubby and I have 3 children, one of whom is married with a little girl. They live close by, so we see them a lot. We are building our own close family. :-)
    My Mum is still alive and I saw her this week, which was lovely. She is 82 and her health is not so good. She lives about half an hour away. I have a sister who lives in Australia.

I have had two of my children spend several years living abroad, so Peggy, I know the pain of having to part. :''(
    I'll be thinking of you and praying for you all.