Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

!*First outing*!

staceysstacey Posts: 99
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Well, I had my first non-doctor appointment outing today. It was so wonderful to get out of the house and see people. It was only a 45 minute trip to WalMart, but when you've been cooped up for 3 weeks, that seems like Disneyland.

I'm not noticing any additional aches or pains, no muscle spasms. The only thing I've noticed is some swelling around my right ankle and over the tibia of the same leg. I think that's just from my legs being in the dependent position for too long. I hope so, at least :)

I'm hoping, and praying (and knocking on wood and crossing my fingers ;) ) that my recovery continues the way it has been. I guess I had pre-conceived notions of what my recovery would be like before I even had this surgery, and was preparing for the worst yet hoping for the best. It may not be the best, but darn close to it!

• On breaking free!

Keep up the good healing :-)
  • Took my son out last week for a few hours. He is 3 weeks post surgery tomorrow, and was only 2 weeks post surgery then! I was amazed how well he did. We did a little shopping for his oldest son's 9th Birthday. He had to stand for quite awhile because they messed up a gift card he had but he did so well. I was so worried he would be in bad shape by the time we left the store but he was fine. I was the one who was worn out!

The next day he was a bit tired but really ok! He has had NO muscle spasms...fingers crossed!

I'm so pleased you are doing well. Keep well!

P x
  • :) Stacey, I'm glad you got out for awhile. I know what you mean. I was in heaven when I went out for the 1st time. I wasn't really supposed to though. The Dr. put me on bed rest. I'm only suposed to sit for 15 to 20mins to eat meals and walking 6 times a day. I go out though. Every chance I get. I am pretty much getting along without my walker. I am walking kind of stiff because I am trying to stand up straight when I walk. :))( I hope I don't walk like that forever. My walker bit the dust. It swirves all over the place outside. I don't know what the deal was. Hope everyone is recovering well and has a great rest of the week. >:D< >:D<
  • I walk all day long. I feel like I've got this nervous energy building up and the only way to release it is by walking. I feel so much better standing than in any other position. I try to limit my sitting to that same time frame-15 to 20 minutes. I could sit longer, but my hips seem to lock up and my feet go numb. I know that'll get better with time though. I came home without a walker because in the hospital it hurt me more to use it than to walk without it. I don't know if they didn't adjust it for my height or what, but I felt stooped over. And that is NO position to be in.

As long as the weather holds out here I'll be walking, walking, and walking some more :)