Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SI Joint Belt?

kalaniwavokkalaniwavo Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:45 AM in Lower Back Pain
What do you guys think of SI Joint Belts for SI joint pain? I was thinking about picking one up but with so many gimmicks and so many people eager to try anything to relieve their pain I'm tend to be skeptical. Are there any well known reputable brands I should look into? Seems like there are ALOT of these on the market..

Thanks!
Nick
advertisement

Comments

• There's a member on the board, screen name "js" that is using one, in addition to the McKenzie method PT he is doing, and he has reported good results.

I was given one by my PT when I was recovering from my first lumbar fusion (I was still having problems!). It helped me to be able to walk further before I developed too much pain to continue on.

Since I have no medical training, I couldn't say whether it is safe for you or whether it might help. If you are under a doctor's care, ask his/her opinion, or if you're working with a PT, they too will have an opinion on whether it might help you.
  • I had horrible SI joint problems, and went on to have my SI joint fused which tells you how bad it was; but, the one thing that offered me the most relief was the SI joint belt my physical therapist recommended. I went to a major spine center PT rehab, so I trust the recommendation and actually really liked the belt and it was more affordable than many on the market. I'll PM you with the brand and a link to the website.

What I was told is that the belt helps hold the SI joint in place while you strengthen the muscles, and eventually the muscles should take over and hold things. I could tell from the moment I put it on that my muscles were working differently, so that told me it was actually doing something. My PT oversaw my use of the belt. The key was making sure the joint was in good alignment before putting on the belt so I was training my muscles the proper way to hold. I'm not sure how well it will work if you aren't in an active PT program because really my PT was key in lining up the joint before I would put on the belt, and making sure I was doing appropriate exercises with the belt. It was presented to me as an adjunct to physical therapy, rather than something that would correct things on its own. Mine gave symptomatic relief, and then the idea was that using it with physical therapy would facilitate recovery.

My doctor always worked really closely with my PT, so he was part of the decision to put me in the SI belt. I'd recommend discussing it with your doctor before purchasing anything just to make sure he thinks it is worthwhile for you.

• Lala makes a good point. She was working with her Physical Therapist who not only made a belt recommendation, but worked with her to ensure proper alignment prior to using the belt. In other words, she was under the direct guidance and supervision of a trained medical professional knowledgeable in her specific case and responsible for her care.

"C"

• kalaniwavo said:
    What do you guys think of SI Joint Belts for SI joint pain? I was thinking about picking one up but with so many gimmicks and so many people eager to try anything to relieve their pain I'm tend to be skeptical. Are there any well known reputable brands I should look into? Seems like there are ALOT of these on the market..

Thanks!
    Nick
    What makes you think you need a SI belt? Did someone reccommend it to you? Do you have unstable SI joints? If so, how do you know they are unstable or loose?
  • I have a lot of pain in the region of my SI joint as well, and yet have no diagnosed damange to my SI joints. I think it is a large joint and people are wont to jump to conclusions that it causes problems- I haven't seen many people on SH who have actually had diagnosed SI joint issues other than LaLa, who had hers caused by an accident.

Remember that back pain travels down. Most of us have pain in our pelvic area, hips and legs and yet have no damage in those areas.

Which is why the constant bugging to go get those problems diagnosed rather than self-treating. Most of my "SI joint pain" is caused by the protrusion in my L5/S1 disk pressing on the nerves that go through that area. The best treatment for me is steroid injections. Voila, it's gone, suddenly I no longer feel like my pelvis is about to disattach from my body. For about a month, anyway ;)

Long post, but the sudden rash of SI joint posts at a time when I just had a shot has made me feel the need to speak. I'm not telling you to go get a shot, but to go find out what's actually going on rather than making assumptions.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.