Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

FINALLY-TLIF is scheduled!

EMTgoneNUTZEEMTgoneNUTZ Posts: 321
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone!

I know it's been a long time but I promise it's only because I've been SO busy with Dr appts, Social Security screw ups, massive dental work, & of course beach time (hey, I moved to FL, might as well enjoy it, right? LOL). I do tend to check in on FB most every day, but as far as other internet stuff I just don't often feel like sitting here at the computer.

I did want to stop by to let you know that after 5 years, I'm FINALLY scheduled to have my fusion which will take place on August 11th. Tomorrow I have to go do the pre-op labs & chest xray, then all I need is the EKG & the pre-registration at the hospital, and I'm all set.

I'll admit that I'm scared out of my mind now that it's finally here-but since I'm up to 8 herniations now (5 lumbar; 3 of which are torn & 3 cervical; which I'm doing nothing with until I absolutely have to), it's time to take the plunge & try the fusion. The odds the surgeon gave me aren't as great as I'd hoped, but having been around here as long as I have I kinda knew not to expect too much (he said about 50/50 that I'll have relief of pain & numbness in my left leg and he feels that I'll always have back pain because of the severe degeneration of my discs & joints). But it's like I told him-if he can get rid of the lightening bolt nerve pain, stop the falling from my 'jello leg', I can live with "backaches". As you're all well aware, it's the nerve pain that's the worst-so God willing, I'll get relief from that at the very least.

Well-pizza guy just arrived so I'm going to go eat now. I have all of my boys here in FL for the summer so it's been pretty hectic, but I'm enjoying every moment of it :-)

Take care everyone...know that you're all in my prayers all the time!

• I survived a three-level fusion and am even very glad I had it done. I hope it turns out well for you. Give yourself plenty of time to heal. Took me about a year and a half.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Great to hear from you and that is fantastic news that things are really starting to come together for you. It's been a long difficult road and you really deserve some good news and relief. It's okay to be scared. You have been living with all of this for so long, it's almost like it has become your norm, so the idea that it is about to change would make anyone nervous.

Glad to hear that you have been able to get out and enjoy the beaches! Nothing feels quite like warm sand and fresh sea air. It has healing power all of its own.

Well keep us posted here or on FB.

• Wishing you a successful TLIF surgery.
    How many levels are you having fused?

You'll be busy getting your home ready for the recovery time now.

Enjoy having your boys home. :-)

• I have been following your posts throughout the years. Hope you get some pain relief!
  • Good to hear. You're finally getting some help for your pain. I hope you get relief from your surgery. Can you start a post for August surgeries? Glad your family has been to visit. Prayers for your surgery and recovery. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • wishing you all the best .and a speedy recovery
    tony x
  • I just wanted to say from one EMT to another, I wish you all the luck. I too am dealing with disability and surgeries. Just wanted to say hi and that you're not alone. It's a tough rewarding job that we do (did) and I always like to pass on the word of encourgment and best of luck. emtchickie (Lori)
  • It's absolutely natural to be scared, but I think you're doing the right thing by going ahead with the surgery.

I so hope your surgeon will be able to give you some pain relief.

I hope all goes well on the 11th of next month and when you're able to, please let us know how you're getting on.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Congrats on hopeful major reduction of pain and relief! Sorry it took so long to 'get here from there' but you're now able to see there IS light at the end of that tunnel! Please keep us posted, good luck with the pre-ops! *HUG*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thank you SO much everyone! One thing I've always loved about SH is the love we all share for one another...ya'll make me feel so special & I cannot possibly express in words just how grateful I am for the support & encouragement you have given me from the very beginning of this whole mess!

I will do my best to update you on my surgery and progress as often as possible-though I suspect in the beginning I may not feel much like posting-BUT-this is my 1st SH post via my new smartphone (a Samsung Reality-LOVE it!) so if all goes well, I should be able to post with it from the hospital before I am discharged *fingers crossed* =)

Yes I can start the Aug surgeries thread-does it go under this forum (back and neck surgeries) or a different one? I'll peruse the boards & see if I can find where the other months surg threads are-if I do I'll start it there & if not I will check back here for some direction. ;-)

BTW-thus far its looking like L3-S1, but with some cloudiness on the MRIs around where my extra lumbar vertebra is the OrthoSurgeon says its likely there may be more repairs necessary...we shall see I suppose!

Have a great Sunday everyone!
  • I saw the July one was on this forum, so I went ahead and created the one for August. If it needs to be somewhere else MOD SQUAD, please feel free to move it to it's proper locations (just don't forget to let me know where it went so I don't feel like I've lost my mind trying to find it LOL) ;)

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I did an L3-S1 fusion this year (after a previous L4-S1 in 1993) and thus far have done okay. I have a bunch of neck problems as well and what I'd call arthritic pain in the low back. But the fusion was a great decision. It has reduced my pain and allowed me to be more mobile than I was before.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos